Credit card confirmation web site keeps timing out.

Stevewarren

I have a MTN Sim in my router that I use for my home internet. Everything works fine and has for years but in the last couple of months when I try make an online payment with my card the step that normally redirects where I have to put my phone number in to receive the OTP times out. I have also tried my phone without using the WiFi and the same thing happens. My phone is also a MTN so it's using the same tower.

Very frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas?

marioat1

Expert Member
I have a MTN Sim in my router that I use for my home internet. Everything works fine and has for years but in the last couple of months when I try make an online payment with my card the step that normally redirects where I have to put my phone number in to receive the OTP times out. I have also tried my phone without using the WiFi and the same thing happens. My phone is also a MTN so it's using the same tower.

Very frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas?
Check if you've set network to 4G only

Stevewarren

I use a Huawei b 315 I don't think it can be 4g only. It is set to 4g preferred but how would that cause for a certain site to timeout?

Another weird and possibly important fact is I used to have a cell c sim in my phone which would roam on the exact same tower but would connect to the web page where you put your phone number in for the confirmation OTP.

marioat1

Expert Member
I use a Huawei b 315 I don't think it can be 4g only. It is set to 4g preferred but how would that cause for a certain site to timeout?

Another weird and possibly important fact is I used to have a cell c sim in my phone which would roam on the exact same tower but would connect to the web page where you put your phone number in for the confirmation OTP.
Try it on auto as i don't think sms
gets sent on 4g

Stevewarren

You misunderstand me. The actually web page where you supposed to put in your cell number for the OTP times out. The internet is working fine other than whatever website the bank uses for the 3dsecure thingie isn't working.

marioat1

Expert Member
You misunderstand me. The actually web page where you supposed to put in your cell number for the OTP times out. The internet is working fine other than whatever website the bank uses for the 3dsecure thingie isn't working.
Aah ok now I'm with you. It's probably the browser you're using, blocking a pop up possibly.

Stevewarren

Nah I used to have a cell c sim in this phone and it worked using chrome, funny thing is it also used the same tower.

Stevewarren

This is still happening. I've emailed MTN and they don't respond. It's very frustrating that I can't make credit card payments when at home. The total disregard they have shown to my many emails is also bloody upsetting.

It's very confusing why this only happens on the tower I connect to at home and it's not the device because I've tried two different phones and my router.

As soon as I connect to another tower in town or anywhere else it works fine. Having to drive into town to make an online payment is a pain in the butt.

I would really appreciate it if someone here can shed some light on my problem or if there's a MTN rep here.

Milano

Honorary Master
Only thing that comes to mind is DNS not resolving correctly for that particular page. I used to have an issue with random webpages not loading correctly via my b315 but they would load fine via my other connection. For example the payment portal on vodacom's website would timeout (rest of their site would load fine). There's a tool that allows you to set the DNS on your B315 if unavailable through your router settings. I then set it to use google dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and problem was resolved.

Edit: my version of the b315 is the Telkom one. Not sure if all ISP's lock access to dns settings on that router which then would necessitate use of the b315 tool.

Last edited:

Stevewarren

I think I've tried 1.1.1.1 and it didn't work but I'll try Google's 8.8.8.8

The odd thing is it doesn't work on my phone at home when I connect to that tower but as soon as I connect to another tower in town or anywhere else it works fine.
Edit.
I don't know why my font changed with that message lol.

John Tempus

Executive Member
Just so you know that url does not resolve at all to destination host.

acssb.bankserv.co.za

Running MTR to this host also does not reach the destination so it makes perfect sense that it timesout cause it technically does not exist.

It doesn't reach destination host so it might be you are getting an invalid domain redirect on this tower giving you this invalid domain somehow.

Doublecheck what domain is resolved when you are able to get to the confirmation page, it should be different.

Also which bank is this confirmation page related to ?

Stevewarren

Just so you know that url does not resolve at all to destination host.

acssb.bankserv.co.za

Running MTR to this host also does not reach the destination so it makes perfect sense that it timesout cause it technically does not exist.

It doesn't reach destination host so it might be you are getting an invalid domain redirect on this tower giving you this invalid domain somehow.

Doublecheck what domain is resolved when you are able to get to the confirmation page, it should be different.

Also which bank is this confirmation page related to ?

Standard Bank. I just used a friend's phone as a portable hotspot( he has a Vodacom sim) it worked and this is the site that comes up. Screenshot_20190809_171323_com.android.chrome.jpg

Stevewarren

I don't think so. It works everywhere else except on the one tower I connect to at home so I'm sure the problem is there. I have the name of the tower if anyone from MTN checks these forums.

John Tempus

Executive Member
I don't think so. It works everywhere else except on the one tower I connect to at home so I'm sure the problem is there. I have the name of the tower if anyone from MTN checks these forums.

Weird cause that domain itself doesnt return any destination host for me on CISP.

Its like they might have blocked certain ip ranges from accessing it entirely, not sure exactly whats going on but I can see it not resolving for me on CISP fibre.

Stevewarren

Im actually going to ping pbcool after the long weekend to see if he has any ideas why this would happen. He seems to know a lot about networking.

John Tempus

Executive Member
Im actually going to ping pbcool after the long weekend to see if he has any ideas why this would happen. He seems to know a lot about networking.

I had a similar issue a while back where I could not access it over vodacom mobile data. It was during the initial launch where all mastercard banks were using the same mastercard OTP authentication service.

It just resolved itself at some random point. This was about 2-3 years ago but a very similar situation.

Stevewarren

The thing is I can access it over MTN data just not on this one tower. I've actually got a ticket with the coverage department at MTN but they haven't responded to me at all.