Cruise Ships

CB40

Are you not allowed to bring drinks onboard?
You can always smuggle these aboard :D
https://totpak.co.za/

Did a cruise on the MSC Melody to Portuguese Islands and Maputo years ago and there was one crowd that always seemed to be pissed but never saw them order anything other than cool drinks.
I then found out they had bought a wack of tot-packs and smuggled them onboard in their luggage:ROFL:
Booze is extremely expensive on cruise ships.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Two people that I know did an all-inclusive cruise to and around Madagascar (incl. Reunion and Mauritius), 200k per person… pretty much treated like royalty on their leisure.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
We did the MSC Portuguese Islands one end 2017. I'm glad I did it, but wouldn't do it again. Essentially you're spending a lot of money to be trapped on a floating hotel with the drinks prices that go with said hotel. Thankfully we did get to disembark, but the beach you're taken to is essentially a private one. It's gorgeous, but you really don't get to experience anything authentically local / new. It's more of the same (food, booze) as the ship, only now with beach sand.

I'd you want to travel to experience new places and different cultures wouldn't recommend this specific cruise. If you're after a 4 day piss up, however, go for it

I'd prefer to spend money traveling and seeing new things, cultures and places. Longer cruises to overseas ports would be preferable I think.
Sounds like a nightmare for me

ice_cubes

Executive Member
We did the MSC Portuguese Islands one end 2017. I'm glad I did it, but wouldn't do it again. Essentially you're spending a lot of money to be trapped on a floating hotel with the drinks prices that go with said hotel. Thankfully we did get to disembark, but the beach you're taken to is essentially a private one. It's gorgeous, but you really don't get to experience anything authentically local / new. It's more of the same (food, booze) as the ship, only now with beach sand.

I'd you want to travel to experience new places and different cultures wouldn't recommend this specific cruise. If you're after a 4 day piss up, however, go for it

I'd prefer to spend money traveling and seeing new things, cultures and places. Longer cruises to overseas ports would be preferable I think.
Did u take malaria tablets beforehand or ?

ice_cubes

Executive Member
Why is Africa so friggin expensive. Noticed much cheaper to do tours in Europe than pretty much anywhere in Africa
yeah! its insane! I wanted to go to Mauritius, their flights cost more than going to Portugal :(

ice_cubes

Executive Member
You can always smuggle these aboard :D
https://totpak.co.za/

Did a cruise on the MSC Melody to Portuguese Islands and Maputo years ago and there was one crowd that always seemed to be pissed but never saw them order anything other than cool drinks.
I then found out they had bought a wack of tot-packs and smuggled them onboard in their luggage:ROFL:
Booze is extremely expensive on cruise ships.

lol! I also smuggled booze on the Europe cruise. Used normal 250ml water bottles. No ways am I popping out 100 bucks per glass of booze :(

ice_cubes

Executive Member
My wife and I have been on 3 Royal Caribbean cruises in the Western & Eastern Mediterranean. Booked through Discovery Card's travel benefit and got 20% off the cruise and flights.
Nice, what was the costs on average?
I want to try a different cruiseline in December this year but abit hesitant. I will either do RIO or Miami this year. The ships I saw in port were small compared to the MSC ones. So abit undecided :(

PoppieChoffel

Expert Member
Did u take malaria tablets beforehand or ?
Wasn't a requirement. I just took sea sickness tabs.

"Since you won’t be spending any nights on Portuguese Island, prophylactics against malaria aren’t strictly necessary. There is a medical team on board should you be taken ill, but we’d recommend stashing your own anti-seasickness and/or nausea medication in your carry-on luggage to save you some time in the event that you feel a bit wobbly."

Edited for above from the site.

Space

cruised on the CPT-Walvis Bay-CPT trip on the MSC Musica this past weekend - had an outside balcony cabin that could accommodate 2 adults + 2 kids on a double bed and double sleeper couch.

Food and facilities are improved from the MSC Symphonia and the ship is wider and longer therefore somewhat more stable in choppy waters, but I would say meals, service and amenities are 4 star and still not 5 star.

The Musica was launched 2006 according to Wikipedia so is by no means a new ship, but this is it's first season in SA waters.

Next year we are getting the MSC Orchestra

Drinks are (like everything else onboard) charged in US$ and converted prices vary from about R35 a beer to R100 a cocktail or double spirits with mix. With a booklet of drinks vouchers prices work out to about half the above, and by the end of the cruise it is sometimes quite a challenge to use up all your last drinks vouchers *that is if you have paced yourself in the first part of the cruise*

Bear in mind that they use the american system of measuring tots, so if you ask for a Single, you actually get a Double, and if you ask for a Double it is actually 4x

Drinks and internet voucher booklets can either be bought online prior to cruising, or once you have boarded the ship. Vouchers are also available for non-alcoholic cocktails, cooldrinks, coffee and ice cream.

ice_cubes

Executive Member
Wasn't a requirement. I just took sea sickness tabs.

"Since you won’t be spending any nights on Portuguese Island, prophylactics against malaria aren’t strictly necessary. There is a medical team on board should you be taken ill, but we’d recommend stashing your own anti-seasickness and/or nausea medication in your carry-on luggage to save you some time in the event that you feel a bit wobbly."

Edited for above from the site.
oh, ok.
I'm going again on the gospel cruise in April - not too keen on malaria tabs, glad its not necessary. Seasickness tabs, I always take with. Day 2 is always my worst on a cruise :(

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
cruised on the CPT-Walvis Bay-CPT trip on the MSC Musica this past weekend - had an outside balcony cabin that could accommodate 2 adults + 2 kids on a double bed and double sleeper couch.

Food and facilities are improved from the MSC Symphonia and the ship is wider and longer therefore somewhat more stable in choppy waters, but I would say meals, service and amenities are 4 star and still not 5 star.

The Musica was launched 2006 according to Wikipedia so is by no means a new ship, but this is it's first season in SA waters.

Next year we are getting the MSC Orchestra

Drinks are (like everything else onboard) charged in US$ and converted prices vary from about R35 a beer to R100 a cocktail or double spirits with mix. With a booklet of drinks vouchers prices work out to about half the above, and by the end of the cruise it is sometimes quite a challenge to use up all your last drinks vouchers *that is if you have paced yourself in the first part of the cruise*

Bear in mind that they use the american system of measuring tots, so if you ask for a Single, you actually get a Double, and if you ask for a Double it is actually 4x

Drinks and internet voucher booklets can either be bought online prior to cruising, or once you have boarded the ship. Vouchers are also available for non-alcoholic cocktails, cooldrinks, coffee and ice cream.
Thanks, I'm going on the Musica this year. Are the drinks and internet vouchers the same price online and on the ship? I won't bother buying online if so - more hassle.

Also, it says the drinks vouchers give you, say, 18 drinks "per cabin" - Does this mean only people in your cabin can buy a drink with that voucher, or can you share with friends and family in other cabins?

ice_cubes

Executive Member
Thanks, I'm going on the Musica this year. Are the drinks and internet vouchers the same price online and on the ship? I won't bother buying online if so - more hassle.

Also, it says the drinks vouchers give you, say, 18 drinks "per cabin" - Does this mean only people in your cabin can buy a drink with that voucher, or can you share with friends and family in other cabins?
As far as I remember (only on SA cruises) , the drinks vouchers come in booklet form & you tear off each voucher when you order a drink. There's no limit on the number of booklets you can buy (18 drinks per booklet) . Online is cheaper.

The international ones you swipe your card and the amount gets reduced each time you get a drink. But if you have the unlimited drinks package, then you drink as much as you want - but you can only order 2 drinks at a time.