Cutting ADSL prices: what needs to be done

defcomk

Greg Payne makes sense reducing line cost = more subscribers which = more revenue. 800k to 2000k is 2.5x more revenue, but i guess telkom would rather squeeze the few they got rather than spread it evenly where no one feels the squeeze.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
This is the funny thing eh.. It's obvious even to us ordinary folk that the way they have been going on about things is unsustainable, but they don't get it (But then any logically minded person finds it hard to accept that these people do not know exactly what they are doing - And that's not a pretty picture). Mistake A was and will always be that they abused customers with their monopolistic MO. That's a sour taste that's going to linger a while - The idea is so ingrained in me by now. And I'd rather not go into the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I think about the DoC :p And finally the gov made Telkom what it is today. They made it this tasty no competition, infinite profit... investors dream to attract overseas investment. Got some then kicked them out, because the new guys exploited the monopoly even more. But what do?.. Business as usual. And for a while it must have gone great, because they made billions. Effed up in Nigeria... 8ta is a money sink... sold their 50% stake in Vodacom which is worth more than 3 times what Telkom itself is worth now. Gave the Koreans the middle finger. And generally opened a can of wup-ass on what could have been a really nice company making customers happy all over the show.

Yep. Telkom's looking black and blue... And really I feel no pity. The 50% stake the gov owns is worth less and less as time passes. But they don't care either. They will beat their strategic asset to reach their goals even if Telkom has to sh|t copper to do so because they live in communist lala land where it rains jellytots and unicorns fart rainbows.

:sick:

Johnfpro

These price reduction proposals by all the ISP's are always the same and are always reported on by MyBB.

Please report rather when something actually happens that will reduce the ADSL costs.

MickeyD

RIP
These price reduction proposals by all the ISP's are always the same and are always reported on by MyBB.

Please report rather when something actually happens that will reduce the ADSL costs.
It's good that MyBB keeps reporting or publishing articles on this specific issue (ADSL total price reductions). Even Telkom's management reads it! :D If MyBB wears them down then something may eventually happen....

burn

Expert Member
Is the Consumer Commission ignoring all the complaints about Telkom's bundling of voice and data being in contravention of Section 13 of the CPA? They didn't seem to mind taking on the mobile telecos. But I guess they aren't owned by government ;)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
You guys are expecting Telkom to do something logical... there's your problem.

FaTaL

It sounds all very well and dandy to just drop the prices and recover lost profit by having a much larger customer base, but what about Telkom's infrastructure? The network is overloaded in some places already -- imagine with over 2 x as many people on it! Such a change would have to be gradual, like it or not.

W.Salie

This is the funny thing eh.. It's obvious even to us ordinary folk that the way they have been going on about things is unsustainable, but they don't get it (But then any logically minded person finds it hard to accept that these people do not know exactly what they are doing - And that's not a pretty picture). Mistake A was and will always be that they abused customers with their monopolistic MO. That's a sour taste that's going to linger a while - The idea is so ingrained in me by now. And I'd rather not go into the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I think about the DoC :p And finally the gov made Telkom what it is today. They made it this tasty no competition, infinite profit... investors dream to attract overseas investment. Got some then kicked them out, because the new guys exploited the monopoly even more. But what do?.. Business as usual. And for a while it must have gone great, because they made billions. Effed up in Nigeria... 8ta is a money sink... sold their 50% stake in Vodacom which is worth more than 3 times what Telkom itself is worth now. Gave the Koreans the middle finger. And generally opened a can of wup-ass on what could have been a really nice company making customers happy all over the show.

Yep. Telkom's looking black and blue... And really I feel no pity. The 50% stake the gov owns is worth less and less as time passes. But they don't care either. They will beat their strategic asset to reach their goals even if Telkom has to sh|t copper to do so because they live in communist lala land where it rains jellytots and unicorns fart rainbows.

:sick:
I like the way you put it... Its just a very sad state that Telkom is in. I think prepaid ADSL will work in SA. Everybody wants internet access at their homes, look how fast prepaid airtime took over SA so why wouldnt it work? There are many customers that are driven away because of the line rental bundling and Telkom knows this but why would they care?

W.Salie

It sounds all very well and dandy to just drop the prices and recover lost profit by having a much larger customer base, but what about Telkom's infrastructure? The network is overloaded in some places already -- imagine with over 2 x as many people on it! Such a change would have to be gradual, like it or not.
There is such a thing as upgrading Telkom's infrastructure! they already made millions off us, so it time to give a little back and they will get a lot more back.

FaTaL

There is such a thing as upgrading Telkom's infrastructure! they already made millions off us, so it time to give a little back and they will get a lot more back.
I don't disagree with you, but its not going to happen overnight, and they are doing it.