Dashboard Cameras

gamer16

Honorary Master
Someone rear ended my wife's Ecosport at a traffic light yesterday, and promptly told the police she'd stopped in the middle of the road for no reason. I'm now looking for a decent Dashcam - tempted to get one for myself. Is the Garmin 56 worth the price?
Make sure to get one that records forward and back.

gsniep

Someone rear ended my wife's Ecosport at a traffic light yesterday, and promptly told the police she'd stopped in the middle of the road for no reason. I'm now looking for a decent Dashcam - tempted to get one for myself. Is the Garmin 56 worth the price?
I bought two Garmin 46 Dashcams last month (from Kloppers). Very easy to set up and 1080p video quality is great!

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Honestly it doesnt matter if she stopped in the middle of the road or not. If you rear end another car then its always your fault.
I had a similar thing happen to me many years ago where I was driving along behind a driving school car. I always leave a decent following distance and dont act like an ass to those learner drivers(we all needed to start somewhere!)
So we were going around 40kph and next thing the learned slammed on brakes, like literally just mashed the brake pedal. I didnt have time to stop and lightly bumped the back of the car.
In the end I was liable regardless of the fact that the other party just locked up in the middle of a road.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I can't comment on the Garmin, but what I can recommend is the 70 Mai Dashcam Pro with the GPS module. It set me back around R1700 after shipping and taxes. There are some quirks, but overall I am happy with it. I am also going the route of fuse tapping so all the cables are hidden.

The main thing that swung me towards that cam was the fact that it didn't rely on a traditional mount (a really budget cheapy I had put me off these). This one sticks onto the windscreen (almost) directly, and I have it hidden behind the rear view mirror. The reviews were also pretty great. I had my doubts (because chinese), but I am really impressed with the quality of everything. Even the box looked and felt a bit posh. 70Mai is also a Xiaomi subsidiary.

@killerbyte can also vouch for this cam, as I showed him the footage and that convinced him to buy one too :D

Just understand that this cam, and the garmin (I think?), doesn't record what's happening at the back, so you wouldn't capture rear ends (unless you are the rear ender).

killerbyte

Expert Member
I can't comment on the Garmin, but what I can recommend is the 70 Mai Dashcam Pro with the GPS module. It set me back around R1700 after shipping and taxes. There are some quirks, but overall I am happy with it. I am also going the route of fuse tapping so all the cables are hidden.

The main thing that swung me towards that cam was the fact that it didn't rely on a traditional mount (a really budget cheapy I had put me off these). This one sticks onto the windscreen (almost) directly, and I have it hidden behind the rear view mirror. The reviews were also pretty great. I had my doubts (because chinese), but I am really impressed with the quality of everything. Even the box looked and felt a bit posh. 70Mai is also a Xiaomi subsidiary.

@killerbyte can also vouch for this cam, as I showed him the footage and that convinced him to buy one too :D

Just understand that this cam, and the garmin (I think?), doesn't record what's happening at the back, so you wouldn't capture rear ends (unless you are the rear ender).
Yeah, great camera. I have it set to record at 1440P and I have put a 128GB microSD card in it. Works perfectly. Already hardwired it in with a piggy back fuse holder. Total cost, including shipping, customs and the hardwiring gear was R2100.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Recently purchased and installed the Viofo A119 V3. See reviews on YouTube. Bought it locally from cardashcams.co.za. Bought the GPS module, Polarise module and power magic hardwire kit. Price wasn't much different from buying from Amazon and I have local warranty. Price was about R2300. Quality of video is great at 2550 x 1440. They also do Blackvue dashcams but much more expensive.

mvww

I've been getting good service from two Viofo 118's for a few years now in two of my vehicles. Got them from China for around R700 a piece. I'm sure the new ones are also good quality and good value for money. I also like the long cords they come with, in contrast to a Garmin I also have with a much too short cord.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Question: if your dash cam records a reckless driver, can you legally upload it to youtube/twitter with the number plate visible in the footage?

valiente

Question: if your dash cam records a reckless driver, can you legally upload it to youtube/twitter with the number plate visible in the footage?
I don't see why not? It's public roads and thus footage could be public domain?

I don't know though lol

Neuk_

Expert Member
I won a Garmin 55 this last weekend, anyone else use one and has some handy tips?

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
I won a Garmin 55 this last weekend, anyone else use one and has some handy tips?
Two accessories to consider if you want to use the Garmin dashcams in more than one vehicle. As it comes with a magnetic mount, which is affixed to the windscreen glass, it precludes being able to use it in another vehicle as well.

It therefore is advisable to also get the Garmin mini suction-cup mount, so you can easily swap it in & out of multiple vehicles.

Also get the hardwired Parking Mode power cable, so that your dashcam still receives power & can record vehicle impact & movement incidents even when the ignition is off and the car is left unattended, without there being an untidy 12V socket power adaptor and mini-USB cable visibly dangling from it.

Jchan11hk

Is there any place that do these dashcam installation? I want to get it done professionally so the cables would be hidden and piggy back from the fuse (someone told me you can). And anyone know what is the roughly cost to do that?

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
I had mine fitted at a car sound fitment centre in Boksburg - they charged me for 1 hour's labour as I had previously purchased the Parking Mode cable online from Garmin SA.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Two accessories to consider if you want to use the Garmin dashcams in more than one vehicle. As it comes with a magnetic mount, which is affixed to the windscreen glass, it precludes being able to use it in another vehicle as well.

It therefore is advisable to also get the Garmin mini suction-cup mount, so you can easily swap it in & out of multiple vehicles.

View attachment 770858

Also get the hardwired Parking Mode power cable, so that your dashcam still receives power & can record vehicle impact & movement incidents even when the ignition is off and the car is left unattended, without there being an untidy 12V socket power adaptor and mini-USB cable visibly dangling from it.

View attachment 770864
Thanks for the suggestions, I am using the magnetic mount for now but wanted a suction cup so I can use the dashcam in my other cars or girlfriends car. And I far prefer your suggestion of the parking mode cable versus the provided cigarette lighter cable.