Data Pricing - LTE & Mobile

Theo Drummond

Dear readers. Perhaps I will be on a lone crusade but the general public needs to wake up and put up a firm resistance to data pricing and the packages on offer in South Africa. Here are some examples. R349 for 60+60Gb, calculating only on the 60Gb = ~R5.80/Gb. At the same ISP a 1Gb TopUp will cost you R10. 50Gb anytime for R500 = R10/Gb. Smart Data R79!!!! for 1Gb, Smart Data R959 for 50+50Gb. In my opinion the so called free or night time data is only useful to prostitutes and shift workers. What am I supposed to do on the net between midnight and 06h00? How on earth can transmitting ones and zeros have such a variance in price? Take a drive in Midrand and you will see what you are paying for. Massive ivory towers that must cost a fortune to maintain. For what? For company image that the man in the street is paying for. It's like the groceries we buy where more is spent on the packaging than the value of the product inside. Now let's go to data which expires after some time. What the hell. This is not bread and milk. It's MY data which I paid for. Imagine if Checkers came and took back some of the products you bought because you never consumed it within a period of time. This is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. Who on earth comes up with these ideas? Dear public we must stop crying and start doing. You get what you tolerate. If being ripped off is acceptable to you then so be it.

Skypack

Dear readers. Perhaps I will be on a lone crusade but the general public needs to wake up and put up a firm resistance to data pricing and the packages on offer in South Africa. Here are some examples. R349 for 60+60Gb, calculating only on the 60Gb = ~R5.80/Gb. At the same ISP a 1Gb TopUp will cost you R10. 50Gb anytime for R500 = R10/Gb. Smart Data R79!!!! for 1Gb, Smart Data R959 for 50+50Gb. In my opinion the so called free or night time data is only useful to prostitutes and shift workers. What am I supposed to do on the net between midnight and 06h00? How on earth can transmitting ones and zeros have such a variance in price? Take a drive in Midrand and you will see what you are paying for. Massive ivory towers that must cost a fortune to maintain. For what? For company image that the man in the street is paying for. It's like the groceries we buy where more is spent on the packaging than the value of the product inside. Now let's go to data which expires after some time. What the hell. This is not bread and milk. It's MY data which I paid for. Imagine if Checkers came and took back some of the products you bought because you never consumed it within a period of time. This is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. Who on earth comes up with these ideas? Dear public we must stop crying and start doing. You get what you tolerate. If being ripped off is acceptable to you then so be it.
Hi Theo. Thanks for highlighting the infuriating deals these data bigwigs come up to make you feel you have a bargain. I feel like staying with my Rain 25gb plus 25gb free off peak as it makes good sense, it comes at a time you are actually awake. To me this amounts to criminal activity...i mean how many unsuspecting newbies will be roped in by this garbage? Well said and keep punching!

Razer0

Expert Member
I know, it's absolute balls. I wish my data would last longer, at LEAST. Because that's FREE!!

What do you propose, Theo?

Theo Drummond

I know, it's absolute balls. I wish my data would last longer, at LEAST. Because that's FREE!!

What do you propose, Theo?
We the public need to take a stand. The ISP's will probably tell you they are controlled by ICASA. If that's the case then if I could rally enough support through this forum I would take our plea to them. I don't think they are going to pay much attention to me on my own.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
We the public need to take a stand. The ISP's will probably tell you they are controlled by ICASA. If that's the case then if I could rally enough support through this forum I would take our plea to them. I don't think they are going to pay much attention to me on my own.
The lockdown has introduced too many ideas to the public lol.

Razer0

Expert Member
Providers can make their money selling data, not limited access to them. As soon as I run out of data, I will buy more - that is a given. I buy 5 day data bundles like, once or twice a year. That shows my usage profile. I'm mostly a cell c whatsapp bundle user. That would definitely change if there was more than just a 50GB for R500 option. What about 10GB for R100? :)
5GB for R50?
Now you have my money.

I support you, Theo.