Database Normalisation????? - Need Help normalising....

Deago999

Hi,
I have a database scenario. The table includes the following columns:

ProcessNumber
ProcessDate
ProcessBill
InsuranceProviderCode
InsuranceProviderName
InsuranceProviderAddress
InsuranceProviderTelephone
CustomerID
CustomerName
CustomerAddress
ClaimCode
ClaimDescription
ClaimFee
ClaimDate
PolicyCode
PolicyDescription
PolicyPremium

I need to normalise that table to 2NF and 3NF .. please help as this is killing me and if you dont help me i might just actually implode!

Nefertiti

Honorary Master
well, what have you done so far? I mean if you tried, what does your tables look like?

Deago999

well ive done the 1nf where i have litrally just identified the Primary keys and then Ive done like 3nf i think where i have made 5 other tables seperating Process, Insurance, Customer, Claim and policy each into thier own table
its primarily 2NF that im struggling with

Glingfram

To normalise the data, you'll (and therefore we'll) need an explanation of the process for which this data will be stored. This will enable you to determine the tables and the relations between the tables.

A guess would be:

have a table for customers including:
CustomerID
CustomerName
CustomerAddress

I'm assuming each customer would have many claims, so you'd have a claims table
ClaimCode
ClaimDescription
ClaimFee
ClaimDate
-(If you need to enforce referential integrity, you will have to put foreign keys from other tables, for example CustomerID, in the table aswell, but can't judge without more info.)

Each customer may have multiple policies - so a policy table
PolicyCode
PolicyDescription
PolicyPremium
- (again, you may need to put an InsuranceProviderCode, in there, and/or CustomerID

Each insurance provider may have a number of policies on offer - so an InsuranceProvider table
InsurancePoriverCode
InsranceProviderName
InsuranceProviderAddress

And then I'm guessing a process is followed to get a claim, so a Process table
ProcessNumber
ProcessDate
ProcessBill
(Possibly CustomerID, ClaimCode and PolicyCode, depending on how the process works.)

But really, there are tons of sites that show you how to normalise data. They usually have very easy to follow examples. A bit of Googling will help more than this.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
To normalise the data, you'll (and therefore we'll) need an explanation of the process for which this data will be stored. This will enable you to determine the tables and the relations between the tables.

A guess would be:

have a table for customers including:
CustomerID
CustomerName
CustomerAddress

I'm assuming each customer would have many claims, so you'd have a claims table
ClaimCode
ClaimDescription
ClaimFee
ClaimDate
-(If you need to enforce referential integrity, you will have to put foreign keys from other tables, for example CustomerID, in the table aswell, but can't judge without more info.)

Each customer may have multiple policies - so a policy table
PolicyCode
PolicyDescription
PolicyPremium
- (again, you may need to put an InsuranceProviderCode, in there, and/or CustomerID

Each insurance provider may have a number of policies on offer - so an InsuranceProvider table
InsurancePoriverCode
InsranceProviderName
InsuranceProviderAddress

And then I'm guessing a process is followed to get a claim, so a Process table
ProcessNumber
ProcessDate
ProcessBill
(Possibly CustomerID, ClaimCode and PolicyCode, depending on how the process works.)

But really, there are tons of sites that show you how to normalise data. They usually have very easy to follow examples. A bit of Googling will help more than this.
Why are you doing OP's homework for him?

HDS

Expert Member
well ive done the 1nf where i have litrally just identified the Primary keys and then Ive done like 3nf i think where i have made 5 other tables seperating Process, Insurance, Customer, Claim and policy each into thier own table
its primarily 2NF that im struggling with
How did you get to 3rd normal form without doing the 2nd? Post the raw data here, easier to start from scratch.