Defrauded on Cellc data package by BBC700 from BaseBone- Dec2018

LouisMat

Oh my word I need some advice,

I have a 200GB 365 day data contract on cellc. I have additional SIMS linked to the main SIM and that costs R5 per month per SIM, so that's the only reason I load airtime on the card. Without my knowledge or consent a provider called BaseBone with a service called BBC700 deducts R7 per shot, multiple times repetitively until my balance is 0, anytime I load funds and then my SIMS disconnect because of my R0 balance. (information gained from call centre eventually)

1. I have definitely and never consented to this service, for a fact.
2. I have never received any communication or opt-in or opt-out or confirmation or any message whatsoever from this service, so it is literally impossible to cancel.
3. Dailing *133# reveals no subscriptions
4. Blocking subscriptions with *133# does nothing.
3. I contacted cellc call centre about this more than 30 times including calls, emails, escelation to 2 supervisors. I have probably spent more than 10 hours on this up to date over a course of 3 months. They promise to assist me then promptly disappear or reply with a utterly useless and unrelated answer. Special reference to Themba Duiker TDuiker@cellc.co.za who proved most useless in assisting me to find a solution and now ignores my flat, he is a supervisor. He aledges to have refunded me but as all funds in my SIM gets eaten immediately it has never been anything else than R0.
4. Esceleted to Waspa, they are also most useless, I have open calls and all the confirmation messages in the world, but my calls get closed without explanation, they are unable or unwilling to comment on prove of subscription and provided nothing. They make promises to follow up and then disappear, they assure me I have been "unsubscribed" (as if I subscribed in the first place) and I am never. What more can I say. Also special reference to Justin Gibson at complaints@waspa.org.za who invites me per email to engage him on the subject and if I do also disappears from the face of the earth.

This is clearly a matter blatant Fraud and theft, and neither the Cellc or Waspa seems to be interested in what is happening under their noses by some fat cat smiling away. I would really appreciated if someone has the contact details of a person at either institutions who gives a damn, or is able to assist me to get the provider BaseBone charged and removed from the networks.

Thx
Louis Mathews

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Networks don't care, as long as they get their cut from the WASP. You will probably find the WASP is not a member of WASPA, so they can't do a thing. The best you can do is escalate it to the ombudsman.

marioat1

Expert Member

I have a 200GB 365 day data contract on cellc. I have additional SIMS linked to the main SIM and that costs R5 per month per SIM, so that's the only reason I load airtime on the card. Without my knowledge or consent a provider called BaseBone with a service called BBC700 deducts R7 per shot, multiple times repetitively until my balance is 0, anytime I load funds and then my SIMS disconnect because of my R0 balance. (information gained from call centre eventually)

2. I have never received any communication or opt-in or opt-out or confirmation or any message whatsoever from this service, so it is literally impossible to cancel.
3. I contacted cellc call centre about this more than 30 times including calls, emails, escelation to 2 supervisors. I have probably spent more than 10 hours on this up to date over a course of 3 months. They promise to assist me then promptly disappear or reply with a utterly useless and unrelated answer. Special reference to Themba Duiker TDuiker@cellc.co.za who proved most useless in assisting me to find a solution and now ignores my flat, he is a supervisor. He aledges to have refunded me but as all funds in my SIM gets eaten immediately it has never been anything else than R0.
4. Esceleted to Waspa, they are also most useless, I have open calls and all the confirmation messages in the world, but my calls get closed without explanation, they are unable or unwilling to comment on prove of subscription and provided nothing. They make promises to follow up and then disappear, they assure me I have been "unsubscribed" (as if I subscribed in the first place) and I am never. What more can I say. Also special reference to Justin Gibson at complaints@waspa.org.za who invites me per email to engage him on the subject and if I do also disappears from the face of the earth.

This is clearly a matter blatant Fraud and theft, and neither the Cellc or Waspa seems to be interested in what is happening under their noses by some fat cat smiling away. I would really appreciated if someone has the contact details of a person at either institutions who gives a damn, or is able to assist me to get the provider BaseBone charged and removed from the networks.

Thx
Louis Mathews
Check from the linked sims as that's probably why the primary doesn't show any subscriptions.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep

Thx
Louis Mathews
Hi Louis

Cell C has a “Double Opt-In” functionality when it comes to content services. The functionality requires customers who request wasp services to confirm their request before billing and delivery.

There are 2 ways a customer can opt in to a service;
  • By replying to an SMS notification
  • Accepting the service on a wap page whilst surfing the internet
For both options above you are presented with the details of the service via SMS.

Please PM the primary number and your contact number, we will investigate and resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

^MM

LouisMat

Hi Louis

Cell C has a “Double Opt-In” functionality when it comes to content services. The functionality requires customers who request wasp services to confirm their request before billing and delivery.

For both options above you are presented with the details of the service via SMS.

Please PM the primary number and your contact number, we will investigate and resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

^MM
6 Dec 2018 -Hi MM, thank you for the answer but it's inaccurate, I have yet to see someone at cellc "solve" this matter, it seems I can hardly get past the point where someone at cellc understands the matter.
Let me put it to you in no uncertain terms, the double opt-in functionality is not true, at least not true in my case. As I have described above, no communication received at any point and most certainly not the luxury of a double opt-in, hence the fact that even WASPA is incapable of providing me with a proof of subscription.

And since the service is reactivating repetitively, I can assure you I am not reactivating with double opt-ins repeatedly. By now I should have had a ton of opt-in SMS's, and there is none whatsoever. If I say in my description I have received no communication at any point, then I don't mean to say no communication except for all the double opt-in message that I receive all the Time and then click on them to resubscribe you know.
The number in question is 0644801223 (you can't phone me on that line) , Waspa refr 7156343 cellc refr 180917-000555.

Ozz_7

Hi Louis,

It seems I am in the same boat as you sailing on the same evil Cell c(eas).

I have a data contract with absolutely no way of sending SMSes yet, somehow, WASPA has a SOAP request from my cellphone number registering me on one of their services! I mean seriously, I just tried to send an SMS from my phone using my data SIM and it failed!!

Please tell me you were able to resolve your issue? I got billed for these services again this month even after de-registering myself using USSD last month!

My first step will be to cancel this contract before trying to get my money back!

Regards,
Andre

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Hi Louis

^MM
Read up on clickjacking MM @Cell_C, it's fraudulent subscriptions done by the WASPs, educate yourself a bit here and don't again dismiss users complaints that they didn't subscribe:

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...ibed-to-wasp-due-to-click-jacking-attack.html

Ozz_7

Surely the ISPs are smart enough to know that a data contract CANNOT send an SMS through?

I'm in contact with my lawyers, they are checking what I must do.

gifs

Expert Member
Hi Louis

^MM
Haha that is nonsense. One of my datasims also got opted in to some WASP service, no SMS's whatsoever. Several attempts to contact Cell C have simply resulted in them telling me I opted in so it is my problem.

ginggs

Super Grandwizard
Super Moderator
Surely the ISPs are smart enough to know that a data contract CANNOT send an SMS through?
Why not? Modems and routers that take SIM cards are capable of sending and receiving SMS, USSD, etc.

Ozz_7

Indeed, yet this is a data-only contract. I've tested it, tried to send an SMS to myself. It didn't send. This is data-only.

The WASPA guys did give me this info straight from Netsmart SA, one of the services I got registered on. Notice the time and messages, the double opt-in was completed before the YES message was sent:

TYPE: Bulk
DATE-TIME: 2018-10-25 11:49:15
TEXT: WELCOME TO SPOT4FUN R6/DAY SUBSCRIPTION. SEND STOP SPOT4FUN TO 43006 TO CANCEL. HELP: 0879407333

TYPE: MO
DATE-TIME: 2018-10-25 11:49:15
TEXT: YES

TYPE: Mobile Double opt-in
DATE-TIME: 2018-10-25 11:48:16
TEXT: Mobile Double opt-in completed through CellC DOI over WAP

Last edited:

rory

Thx
Louis Mathews

Hi.
I have exactly the same issue.
5 sims on a 200gb data bundle. Only reason for having airtime is to pay the R5 per sim per month.
Netsmart is the culprit in my case it appears.
Am waiting for a response from cell c.
Any news on how you resolved this issue.
Thanks
rory