Defrost Meat in Max 8 Minutes

viljoendm1

Technology impresses us everyday and makes life simpler by speeding almost any thinkable task . . . Except defrosting meat for an unplanned Braai. Even the most expensive microwave ovens will take approx 45 - 60 mins to defrost 1 kg beef! I found the fastest way:

1. Put the frozen meat in your mic for 1.5 to 2 mins on high / full power
2. Turn it over and leave it to cool for 2 mins
3. Heat it again for 1.5 to 2 mins
4. Turn it over again and leave it for a final cool for... jup you guessed it - 2 mins

That's it! Your meat is now defrosted! No more wait; no more soggy hot-water-sink-meat :)

NB: You might need to fine tune the timing to perfect this process specific to your microwave. Best advice is to keep the heating in increments of 1 minute on your first run.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Except your meat is still unfrozen in the middle and cooks unevenly then. But thanks.

viljoendm1

Except your meat is still unfrozen in the middle and cooks unevenly then. But thanks.

If you perfected the method there's no frozen center after the last cooling period. I used to get the unwanted result for about the first three tries after which I got it just right and now I pop in anything from mince to T-bones to chicken thawed to perfection every time... Its working so well that it became my preferred defrosting method ;)

fonoi

If you perfected the method there's no frozen center after the last cooling period. I used to get the unwanted result for about the first three tries after which I got it just right and now I pop in anything from mince to T-bones to chicken thawed to perfection every time... Its working so well that it became my preferred defrosting method ;)

I am no expert, but I thought the slow defrosting time was there to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria? Although if you cook the meat immediately after defrosting I guess it should be safe enough.

viljoendm1

I am no expert, but I thought the slow defrosting time was there to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria? Although if you cook the meat immediately after defrosting I guess it should be safe enough.

Now this is something I did not know... Interesting. I've never waited longer than a few mins between defrosting and cooking so perhaps the immediate cooking does kill / prevent bacteria as you say. All I know is it hasn't made me sick, yet, even with my IBS

Batista

Executive Member
I just press quick defrost, set the weight of the meat and bobs your aunty.

DJ...

Banned
Except that the microwave vibrates water molecules and even if the meat doesn't seep its liquid out while defrosting, it certainly will when cooked thereafter.

There is a much simpler method that defrosts meat quickly (not 8 minutes) and that is to place it in cold water, and allow cold water to run over it very slowly so that you have agitation and movement of the water molecules over the meat. The laws of thermodynamics kick in and defrost your meat in a safe (note, warm environments breed bacteria), efficient manner, and without losing any moisture content whatsoever...

HelterSkelter

Expert Member
I throw frozen pork chops just like that on the braai. Comes out soft with nice golden and crispy fat.

If I put in the weight into the micro for other meats, it takes 11 minutes for 1kg, just have to turn it every now and then.

atomcrusher

Expert Member
1. Put the frozen meat in your mic for 1.5 to 2 mins on high / full power
2. Turn it over and leave it to cool for 2 mins
3. Heat it again for 1.5 to 2 mins
4. Turn it over again and leave it for a final cool for... jup you guessed it - 2 mins

That's it! Your meat is now defrosted! No more wait; no more soggy hot-water-sink-meat

I'd like to think your method works, but there are too many variables to consider ...e.g. the volume / mass of the amount of meat would make a huge difference to the timing you specified above, as well as the type of meat, and the cut of the meat .. i.e. how thickly cut.

Also the power of the microwave used could make a huge difference

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
My microwave on 2 minutes will start cooking the meat.

Same.

Must be a very low power microwave to not cook after 2 mins.

I put water in the basin and put the meat (in its packet) in there. Wont take 8 mins but will evenly warm up the meat.
I use warm water because it works faster and will bring the meat to room temp, I cook straight away to avoid cooties.

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
I only braai fresh [-]un[/-]neverfrozen meat, thanks!

You get your meat directly from an abattoir?

Except that the microwave vibrates water molecules and even if the meat doesn't seep its liquid out while defrosting, it certainly will when cooked thereafter.

There is a much simpler method that defrosts meat quickly (not 8 minutes) and that is to place it in cold water, and allow cold water to run over it very slowly so that you have agitation and movement of the water molecules over the meat. The laws of thermodynamics kick in and defrost your meat in a safe (note, warm environments breed bacteria), efficient manner, and without losing any moisture content whatsoever...

Pretty much how I was 'taught' to do it. We didn't have a microwave when I was small and my folks usually bought meat in bulk.

My microwave on 2 minutes will start cooking the meat.

This. And it looks and smells disgusting.

cerebus

Honorary Master

Exactly so.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
It's different if you plan on only eating it later.
If you defrost and cook immediately then it's irrelevant.

Nah, dude. You're giving these organisms everything you need to kick-start their activity: warmth, moisture, a protein source... Sure, do it a thousand times and you'll likely be fine all but once, but it's not something worth taking the risk with.

Keegan

Expert Member
Lol, for my unplanned braai's,
I fill the kitchen sink with hot water, Leave the meat in the freezer bag and let it sit in the hot water.
Works like a charm, for small portions of meat.