Defy Fridge Freezer clicks on and off again

davidteubes

After we had 2 little power dips (enough to reboot internet router and TV), I heard my fridge click on for 2 seconds, then click off again. Since then, the compressor wont stay on for longer than 2 seconds.

I have checked the the actual compressor starts, and it does but the relay clicks off again after 2 seconds.

I went and got a new overload relay kit from Latigan & van Biljoens, installed it but it still does exactly the same thing. I have better visibility of the new one and I noticed that when the relay switched on, it glows hot for those 2 seconds before switching off again.

I have not tested continuity or resistance on the compressor yet - that's the next test (as per some research on Youtube). My question is that if the compressor does switch on (even if it is for only 2 seconds), surely it works? Does anyone have any advice on what the problem could be?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Yah, most likely your thermostat relay is borked. If your fridge is a "smart" fridge ie: numerous electronics then the main board may have fried but the basic functioning is that the thermostat will detect the temp and control the switching of the compressor to compensate and maintain it.

How to test I'm not 100% sure as it is a thermal based component but I'm sure if you google it, you will find a vid. Continuity won't really help here as it sounds like the relay is "flapping", not fully broken.

davidteubes

Yah, most likely your thermostat relay is borked. If your fridge is a "smart" fridge ie: numerous electronics then the main board may have fried but the basic functioning is that the thermostat will detect the temp and control the switching of the compressor to compensate and maintain it.

How to test I'm not 100% sure as it is a thermal based component but I'm sure if you google it, you will find a vid. Continuity won't really help here as it sounds like the relay is "flapping", not fully broken.
Thanks Kosmik :thumbsup:

B@rrels

Expert Member
Sounds like the compressor is cooked as the clicking is the overload unit on the compressor .

Freddl

I have a fridge that does the same after a power dip. What I do is to disconnect the power to the fridge for 30 minutes and the connect it again. The fridge then runs without a problem

davidteubes

Sounds like the compressor is cooked as the clicking is the overload unit on the compressor .
So, the compressor does go on for about 3 seconds and hums nicely but then the relay clicks off again. Could that still be the compressor?

B@rrels

Expert Member
Yes,the humming sound could be the seized compressor trying to run and then the overload relay clicks it off...Just my experience.

davidteubes

Yes,the humming sound could be the seized compressor trying to run and then the overload relay clicks it off...Just my experience.
Just to be more specific on the hum: It's not the typical 50Hz electrical buzz/hum, it's that refrigerator or compressor hum. The compressor vibrates and, even when it switches off, the compressor does the whole shake thing as is spins down, as if the motor was just switched off in normal operation.

Obviously I'm hoping that it's not the compressor as I believe that is expensive (so much so that it's often worth replacing the entire fridge) to repair. I'd really like to be able to fix it myself.

When I get home, I'll upload a video...

davidteubes

Just to be more specific on the hum: It's not the typical 50Hz electrical buzz/hum, it's that refrigerator or compressor hum. The compressor vibrates and, even when it switches off, the compressor does the whole shake thing as is spins down, as if the motor was just switched off in normal operation.

Obviously I'm hoping that it's not the compressor as I believe that is expensive (so much so that it's often worth replacing the entire fridge) to repair. I'd really like to be able to fix it myself.

When I get home, I'll upload a video...
So, here's a video of what happens. Both the original & replacement relay does the same thing...