Degraded Peer 2 Peer connectivity

Tw171

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems with p2p connectivity. It started last night, lasted the whole of today and its still refusing any p2p connections. I phoned Iburst tech support, according to them there are others who have already logged the issue with them, and they don't know what the problem is.

Anyone from Iburst know what the issue is, or when it will be resolved?

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Doesn't look anyone from Iburst actually frequents here anymore, last activity looks like it was August.

Tw171

It truly is amazing how this company operates. They simply refuse to talk to their customers, or to inform them about anything. After another phone call to the tech department, I was basically told that they are "discouraging" their customers on the uncapped packages from using the p2p networks. Their "discouraging" means placing a policy in place that refuses such connections. Meaning they've unilaterally changed the functionality of my connection, without any notice.

What a wonderful company.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I also got hold of them, their answer was to send someone out here to do a site test and try pitch me a new antenna as that will stabilise speeds, I was like I've had no problems for 2 years where the modem was and all of a sudden mid October my speeds go balls up and now suddenly I need a new antenna?

pexxie

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems with p2p connectivity. It started last night, lasted the whole of today and its still refusing any p2p connections. I phoned Iburst tech support, according to them there's others who have already logged the issue with them, and they don't know what the problem is.

Anyone from Iburst know what the issue is, or when it will be resolved?

Hi.

Are you saying 'degraded', or are you saying 'dead.' ? Your title & text are a little contradictory.

I use iBurst, connect to the Glenwood tower in Durbs. I do use torrent (p2p?) a couple times a day, and haven't noticed any issues this week. You sure it's not your router (if applicable) or AV/Firewall software?

I've just done a test and currently getting 51KB/s, which I consider adequate given the ISP & download protocol.

-GP

Tw171

Hi.

Are you saying 'degraded', or are you saying 'dead.' ? Your title & text are a little contradictory.

I use iBurst, connect to the Glenwood tower in Durbs. I do use torrent (p2p?) a couple times a day, and haven't noticed any issues this week. You sure it's not your router (if applicable) or AV/Firewall software?

I've just done a test and currently getting 51KB/s, which I consider adequate given the ISP & download protocol.

-GP

Sorry I should have phrased the title a bit clearer. I do mean dead, as in absolutely no connectivity. I checked my AV, but nothing, in terms hardware or software, had changed on my end. And when I did a search on the local cached index it found nodes on the DHT system but wouldn't load them. Meaning connections were being refused.

I explained this to the iburst techs, but they refused to give me a straight answer when i asked them if iburst was now denying p2p network connections, saying that hypothetically they reserved the right to implement new policies or network restrictions without prior notice. When i pressed them on the issue they just told me that an advanced system tech would phone me later.

The issue has cleared up since, to some degree. I don't use torrents in the traditional sense, I use Freenet, so its not really the speed that is an issue; i know during the day the speeds are throttled. It was the ability to connect to the network that was the problem for me.
- Plus,on a side note, I wish Iburst would just learn to accept the fact that they are not allowed to deny certain network types, whatever their reasons for it be. Since it amounts to a form of censorship. And no contract can enforce an illegality, so when they say it is in the contract it means nothing. As a ISP they have a legal mandate to remain neutral and open.

Last edited:

pexxie

Thanks for mentioning Freenet, Tw171.

Wasn't even aware of it. It looks controversial enough to be worth paying some attention to.

Polemus

Expert Member
I am also not able to do ANY p2p downloads.

It just stopped completely !!!!!!!!!!

Time to cancel i think, cause they also told me it might be due to signal..... NOPE, got my new flatpanel on Thursday, and was able to download p2p the whole weekend, this morning it stopped

Tw171

I am also not able to do ANY p2p downloads.

It just stopped completely !!!!!!!!!!

Time to cancel i think, cause they also told me it might be due to signal..... NOPE, got my new flatpanel on Thursday, and was able to download p2p the whole weekend, this morning it stopped

Hi, I eventually got a call from one of their advanced systems techs, and he told me that the connectivity problems on the p2p network was due to a Telkom fault that effected iburst(?), it has since been rectified.

I was able to (re)connect to p2p networks on Friday/Saturday. And although it is not entirely fixed, i do have connectivity.

What p2p network are you connecting to? If it is torrents, what handler do you use, and is there any DHT peer discovery or tracker requests being resolved?

A easy way to see if you are being blocked is simply to try an unblocked connection (most 3G are) to load peers and then to switch back to the iburst connection.