I ain't no attorney, so I am going with what ethics, common sense and logic would allow:
- The OP felt that he was paying above current rent for his proximity.
-He knew he could somehow negotiate a better rate for the upcoming year which he did
-Landlord agreed.
-OP requested it on paper (we all know that if you want something set in stone you ask for it on paper- maybe some technicality in some modern versions of the law allow an escape route, but let us look at the 'reasonable man scenario'
-landlord ignored his pleas)
-OP unsure what to do- with no contract in place he can be kicked out with short notice so he needs to make a plan
-OP makes a plan and finds alternative accommodation that doesn't require him to be waiting on tenterhooks to hear that he needs to be kicked out or not
-OP lets landlord know that he cannot wait in tenterhooks and has found alternative accommodation and wishes to end the contract which has not been in writing since a verbal discussion took place and landlord refused to reduce to paper
-Landlord throws a hissy fit because he can't have everything his/her way (I don't need to explain why)
-OP feels like he has somehow done something wrong, but his logic and morality tells him otherwise. Yet, by asking what to do, he is informed that he erred in many and major ways and needs to be taken to the cleaners by the legally-spotless landlord
I call bullshyte to this.
I have been and am both a landlord and tenant. Sh** must be in writing. Parties must comply both ways.
And yes, the fact that he requested stuff in writing indicates that he abides by written contracts.