different names in different countries

brixton tower

Expert Member
Ever walked down the street in a foreign country and see a the back of a vehicle and it says "Sentra" but looks like an "Almera" or "Accord" but it looks nothing like the new Accord recently launched in SA. Another one is the Toyota Camry that looks a bit like a Camry but in actual fact is an Aurion.

Big question I have to some of the posters is why SA can't get the new Sentra that looks way better than the Tiida.

phiber

Expert Member
Do they drive on the left hand side of the road in that country of the right? I know for a fact that with companies like nissan vw and toyota their are large differences in looks depending on which side of the road the car drives on. Also certain cars are just not sold in certain markets as the compaines feel its not worth it to them to even bother.

JK8

Banned
Ever walked down the street in a foreign country and see a the back of a vehicle and it says "Sentra" but looks like an "Almera" or "Accord" but it looks nothing like the new Accord recently launched in SA. Another one is the Toyota Camry that looks a bit like a Camry but in actual fact is an Aurion.

Big question I have to some of the posters is why SA can't get the new Sentra that looks way better than the Tiida.

They do have different names, Im not sure why. In UK they call the Jetta a Bora. Its different for different markets.

The FUNNIEST thing though. The Chinese and Japanese have problems pronouncing their "R" and "L" yet if you look at how they name Toyotas, they all have Rs in them...

Armela
Aulis
Lun X
Camly
Collora
:p

Waaib

Executive Member
Pajero in most countries = Shogun in some places.

In west africa you get a short wheel base Prado with no bells and whistles. Just the Prado shape, steel hubs, cloth seats, air con and the great engine. It's like a 'lite' version of the luxury ones we get here. I'm sure it would sell like crazy in ZA but I think they want to keep the brand exclusive or something.

brixton tower

Expert Member
Do they drive on the left hand side of the road in that country of the right? I know for a fact that with companies like nissan vw and toyota their are large differences in looks depending on which side of the road the car drives on. Also certain cars are just not sold in certain markets as the compaines feel its not worth it to them to even bother.

Its a former American colony so they drive on the right hand side of the road. Another observation I've made though is that there are hardly any American cars sold here apart from their SUV's...but nothing in terms of passenger cars.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
you mean here as in sa? If so, there's a simple explanation, American passenger cars are rubbish and wouldn't sell v well. The name issue is pretty much down to culture and marketing, though they're starting to normalize names across the world.

brixton tower

Expert Member
you mean here as in sa?

No, here as in the Philippines. The only manufacturers with standards names across the globe are the luxury marques like BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi.

Another weird thing I discovered is that you can't get Lexus in this country along with Volkswagen and other Europeans brands although Audi has a presence here.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Ah ok, didn't see a mention of the Philipines...

Some manufacturers are starting to normalise their names across the world tho, like for instance the Nissan 350Z (bad example I know), or from what I know VW are adopting the name Jetta for that model vehicle in as many countries as possible.

brixton tower

Expert Member
Ah ok, didn't see a mention of the Philipines...

Some manufacturers are starting to normalise their names across the world tho, like for instance the Nissan 350Z (bad example I know), or from what I know VW are adopting the name Jetta for that model vehicle in as many countries as possible.

AFAIK the 350Z is still known as the Fairlady in Japan and the Jettais known as the Bora in Europe are previously going as the Vento.

What I find fascinating is the differences in design...for instance the last generation Corolla looks different to the one that was launched in SA.

JK8

Banned
The Mazda MX5 is the Miata.
Play Gran Turismo youll get all the names.