Dimension Data absorbs Internet Solutions

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dimension Data absorbs Internet Solutions

Dimension Data has announced that Internet Solutions will be absorbed into its brand.

In a mail announcing the change, seen by MyBroadband, Dimension Data CEO Grant Bodley said the move is part of a plan to better serve their stakeholders.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Shifting pawns around and a lot of marketing fluff. Ultimately these moves usually make forkall difference to the end product/service and how things are conducted in the trenches. If anything the disruptions and complexity just increase. Good luck :sneaky:

Disclaimer: I'm just generally overly negative about mergers, acquisitions, "improving efficiencies" and so on. :p

Daruk

Honorary Master
Good move for DD. IS had a bad smell about it. Whether that improves is a topic for a different conversation.
DD don't have a good reputation in the HR department as far as I can tell.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
No. Dimension Data hasn't absorbed Internet Solutions. Nippon Telegraph and Telephone has consolidated more of its South African subsidiary.

d0dja

On the contrary, NTT restructured and rolled most of the global operations into NTT Ltd (largely run by DD Global people in London). Dimension Data MEA was not part of this, it's a separate company under NTT Group. IS was owned by DD (alternately by Group and MEA) but was a separate operating company. It is now being absorbed into DD along with the other group companies and becomes part of one of the new DD BUs, and is no longer a brand on its own. One question is what happens to Merchants (the call centre company owned by DD).

Lupus

Honorary Master
I have very fond memories from the days when their Rosebank DC was still the place to be. Sad really that the brand will be gone.
I loved working in that DC, free food delivered to your desk. Also the speed man the speed

Jan

Drifting in the black
The end of an era. The Internet Solution, founded in 1993, was one of the first commercial ISPs in South Africa. A pioneer in commercial Internet access.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Shifting pawns around and a lot of marketing fluff. Ultimately these moves usually make forkall difference to the end product/service and how things are conducted in the trenches. If anything the disruptions and complexity just increase. Good luck :sneaky:

Disclaimer: I'm just generally overly negative about mergers, acquisitions, "improving efficiencies" and so on. :p
Fully agreed, I got caught up in an 'outsourcing' agreement with Dimension Data years ago to save costs and get better value, none of which arrived and just about everyone outsourced either quit or has been reabsorbed in to the company outsourcing us.

Lupus

Honorary Master
What killed it?
After Angus MacRobert left I don't know it just started to lose its edge. The CEO that replaced was also quickly replaced and Saki just seemed to steer the boat the wrong way. In my eyes that's where it started to die.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
What killed it?
They fell asleep at the wheel and stuck in 2013. I still remember sitting in a meeting with MD4E and IS where he told them they're all going to be out of job soon.

Last I checked they were completely dumbfounded when we called and ask why there is a traffic spike to our servers. It carried on over a weekend and if I remember correctly on server fell over - they knew nothing.

So from my limited experience I can tell you this: IS is ****, and with Azure already here and AWS about to land - redundant.

Big Destroyer

I work for a company in Menlyn Park Shopping Centre and due to the way of what infrastructure providers they allow in the mall IS was (to my knowledge) the only one. Not even openserve is there but they support all the surrounding buildings. They referred us to ignite and their support are also so bad. If anyone can help with an alternative of what internet option is available in Menlyn Mall please let me know. The company is really dependent on the internet as it is.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I work for a company in Menlyn Park Shopping Centre and due to the way of what infrastructure providers they allow in the mall IS was (to my knowledge) the only one. Not even openserve is there but they support all the surrounding buildings. They referred us to ignite and their support are also so bad. If anyone can help with an alternative of what internet option is available in Menlyn Mall please let me know. The company is really dependent on the internet as it is.
Your only option is to use the IS fibre in the mall, unless you can get LTE, but reception is farked in that mall AFAIK. The fibre is not going anywhere, it's business as usual for IS. Do people think they are closing down or something?