Dirty Fuel Tank?

mouks

Expert Member
I'm no petrol head and need some advise:eek:. Can anyone tell me what the symptoms off a dirty fuel tank are. I'm currently fixing up a E36 318i BMW Dolphin Shape. Car idles fine but has trouble accelerating in first gear, slight jerks effect like it not getting petrol/power or something. Once it reaches optimal speed the car runs fine. I need a second opinion and don't want to be conned out of my money

wikk3d88

Expert Member
Doubt its that.
It might be your fuel pump or MAF or even a dirty fuel filter that needs to be replaced.
Suggest you take it to a reputable BMW workshop for proper diagnostics.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Doubt its that.
It might be your fuel pump or MAF or even a dirty fuel filter that needs to be replaced.
Suggest you take it to a reputable BMW workshop for proper diagnostics.

Yeah, most likely the MAF or some other sensor. Also check the throttle body that the butterfly flap is not stuck. And stay away from BMW dealerships, they will rip you a new one.

Goobie

Expert Member
There are probably more symptoms, but from my experience a dirty fuel tank will exhibit stuttering on acceleration when the tank nears empty.

wikk3d88

Expert Member
Yeah, most likely the MAF or some other sensor. Also check the throttle body that the butterfly flap is not stuck. And stay away from BMW dealerships, they will rip you a new one.

yeah, meant to say reputable Independant BMW workshop, not the dealers themselves.
Its probably the MAF, but at +-R2700 a pop its best to get a proper diagnosis of the problem first.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
yeah, meant to say reputable Independant BMW workshop, not the dealers themselves.
Its probably the MAF, but at +-R2700 a pop its best to get a proper diagnosis of the problem first.

Yeah those things are goddamn expensive :wtf: I paid R3k5 for mine.

wikk3d88

Expert Member
Yeah those things are goddamn expensive :wtf: I paid R3k5 for mine.

Well realistically you should replace the MAF and most other sensors at around 160k as part of preventative maintenance...
Im just glad all of mine are still fine...

D3x

Expert Member
When driving about 90 or 100kmph put your car into 1st & let the clutch out. That should clear it up.

etwylite

Get the OBD plugged into by a BMW workshop (stealership or other) get a print out of the fault codes and work your way through those first.

Also check all vacuum hoses for leaks

Last edited:

grim

Expert Member

You can get MAF cleaner from some part shops although they are normally reluctant to sell it to the public and will try sell you a new sensor at a retarded price.

louisek

Take it to Frank's Motors, Queens Park Road, Salt River. They fixed my pa's 318i after Auric Auto had quoted R9000 for a whole list of things. In the end he paid R1250 and only 1/3 of the items listed needed doing

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
You can get MAF cleaner from some part shops although they are normally reluctant to sell it to the public and will try sell you a new sensor at a retarded price.

MAF cleaner will not work if the MAF itself is faulty. I've used pure alcohol on mine for my previous car, and it worked.

wikk3d88

Expert Member

You have to be very careful when using MAF cleaner.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Symptoms don't sound like fuel or Maf related... Does it also jerk/hesitate in higher gears?

mouks

Expert Member
Symptoms don't sound like fuel or Maf related... Does it also jerk/hesitate in higher gears?

No.. Also did a dino tune test they other day they did not give me the result just fix a one faulty pipe

mouks

Expert Member

No.. Also did a dino tune test they other day they did not give me the result just fix a one faulty pipe

mouks

Expert Member
UPDATE: ISSUE RESOLVED

SOLUTION: "iemand het vir my die kar se timing gestel"