Disappointed with DSTV

Getting dstv is not cheep. Especially the explora. After having it installed by a registered dstv fitment company. My explora would continuously reboot itself after watching for a short period of time and then would have to be switch off for a few hours before I can watch maybe another hour of dstv. I called into the call centre and was told to bring the decoder into a multichoice branch. Which I did... after the agent tested and rebooted. He said it would be working perfectly from that point onwards. However I came back home and it was still the same. Now what's the point of paying so much for something that I can't use.

The 2nd problem is... when I opened my account with dstv. The call centre agent said that I need to make a manual payment for the 1st month of my subscription, thereafter they premium will be debited from my account. Now it's embarrassing when you have people over to watch a game and then you realise that your account has been suspended due to non payment. And I had the funds available for my debit order.

Dstv is a big and very loved company. Please fix your issues for the sake of your loyal clients.

cheap

sounds like you need to swap your decoder for a new one

Call centre switched mine on but neighbours now off ? Both on same commercial bougquet

Getting dstv is not cheep. Especially the explora. After having it installed by a registered dstv fitment company. My explora would continuously reboot itself after watching for a short period of time and then would have to be switch off for a few hours before I can watch maybe another hour of dstv. I called into the call centre and was told to bring the decoder into a multichoice branch. Which I did... after the agent tested and rebooted. He said it would be working perfectly from that point onwards. However I came back home and it was still the same. Now what's the point of paying so much for something that I can't use.

The 2nd problem is... when I opened my account with dstv. The call centre agent said that I need to make a manual payment for the 1st month of my subscription, thereafter they premium will be debited from my account. Now it's embarrassing when you have people over to watch a game and then you realise that your account has been suspended due to non payment. And I had the funds available for my debit order.

Dstv is a big and very loved company. Please fix your issues for the sake of your loyal clients.

DSTV is a very much hated company. And dear OP, hellopeter.com is that way -> hellopeter.com

At the moment there are quite a few outstanding problems with dsTV services as well as more and more things to irritate many of us who were very loyal subscribers for years.

(1) The new Explora 2A has quite a few sw faults.
(2) The Exploras in general are experiencing all sort of unexplained reboots, blank screen issues, no sound issues, "Insert Smart Card Issues" etc. MC claim they a " fix" but won't put the fix in the public domain, insisting that those affected contact MC direct who then fix the problem on a case-by-case basis.
(3) Access to a subscribers' account on line is a disaster for many, especially long time subscribers. Something has gone wrong with the move of data into a new system and MC have been unable to fix it -- In my case it has now been more then 8 weeks and I still cannot access my account on line or get statements.
(4) MC have recently activated 3 new transponders on the new satellite, which at all Hi-band. BUT because they have a problem with how to handle persons living in complexes with communal antenna systems, they "came up with a fiddle" to try and make these new transponders "look like they are on Lo band" and the "fiddle" is driving many nuts!
(5) To rub salt into the wounds, MC decided to abandon Flash Player and convert to HTML and in the process now no one is able to download anything for later viewing anymore. Only "streaming works" BUT as many have found the streaming service from dsTV is now worse than ever, if it works at all.
(6) The new App for Android does not work on the devices and Android versions they claim it should be working on ....
(7) Numerous persons on social media sites get the run around when phoning in or chatting on line with dsTV personnel about the streaming problems ....
(8) The new Holiday service announced last week is plain and simply broken --- Many have tried to setup their holiday viewing and have failed to get it to work .....
(9) Oh I forgot to mention that the latest round of channels removals and changes has just about broken every single aspect of the EPG. This then impacts negatively on PVR functionality, causing recordings to fail on a regular basis, breaks the CU downloads. The EPG is no longer working properly on older PVRs, especially the SD PVRs. Channels stop working come back a break again and again.
(10) MC announce a new email address for complaints etc, and that new e-mail address then fails!

Just to add on that, the e-mail address has please continue to use [email protected] because there are issues with the new one of [email protected]. We will inform our customers once resolved

I cannot in all the years when I was a Premium subscriber remeber a situation as bad as this and just before the holidays. It is a very serious situation which is just not getting any attention by DSTV management.

At the same time myBB has flooded with articles on DSTV ----- what for?? Maybe they should stop with all this new stuff and get back to the knitting and FIX their systems!

Last edited:

Your only hope is to go to a DSTV office and stay there until they prove to you that everything is order with your DO and your account.

The Exploras in general are experiencing all sort of unexplained reboots, blank screen issues, no sound issues, "Insert Smart Card Issues" etc

Welcome to South Africa, where current crop of graduate developers, have never coded a line of C code in their life, and just assume C has garbage collection, and other, utterly shocking stuff I have seen.

Welcome to South Africa, where current crop of graduate developers, have never coded a line of C code in their life, and just assume C has garbage collection, and other, utterly shocking stuff I have seen.

:crylaugh:

But, MC claims all sw development is now in-house and therefore under their direct control and supervision .... by management that do not know when to approve of a new sw release??

I heard it's made in East London?

Yes it is, and there have been plenty of manufacturing issues, poor quality control and poor final quality control before shipment.

But, MC claims all sw development is now in-house and therefore under their direct control and supervision .... by management that do not know when to approve of a new sw release??
A while ago, they hired developers, as contractors, I might add.
Here is the kicker.
* Appointments were done purely on race
* The people they did get in... let's just say their skills were mediocre at best
* They specifically wanted Java devs. Now I am sorry, what the hell are you trying to do with Java on an embedded system? I do appreciate some of the middleware is indeed Java, but, really... what happened to C and all of the stuff the toolchain vendor provides?
* The chipsets, are used worldwide, and its only here where the issues exist.

Its like code I have had to look at recently... Shocking.. utterly shocking. Memory leaks everywhere because the mentality is "there is garbage collection I don't have to worry". I could go on all day... never heard of C header files and prototypes.. you get the picture.

At the moment there are quite a few outstanding problems with dsTV services as well as more and more things to irritate many of us who were very loyal subscribers for years.

(1) The new Explora 2A has quite a few sw faults.
(2) The Exploras in general are experiencing all sort of unexplained reboots, blank screen issues, no sound issues, "Insert Smart Card Issues" etc. MC claim they a " fix" but won't put the fix in the public domain, insisting that those affected contact MC direct who then fix the problem on a case-by-case basis.
(3) Access to a subscribers' account on line is a disaster for many, especially long time subscribers. Something has gone wrong with the move of data into a new system and MC have been unable to fix it -- In my case it has now been more then 8 weeks and I still cannot access my account on line or get statements.
(4) MC have recently activated 3 new transponders on the new satellite, which at all Hi-band. BUT because they have a problem with how to handle persons living in complexes with communal antenna systems, they "came up with a fiddle" to try and make these new transponders "look like they are on Lo band" and the "fiddle" is driving many nuts!
(5) To rub salt into the wounds, MC decided to abandon Flash Player and convert to HTML and in the process now no one is able to download anything for later viewing anymore. Only "streaming works" BUT as many have found the streaming service from dsTV is now worse than ever, if it works at all.
(6) The new App for Android does not work on the devices and Android versions they claim it should be working on ....
(7) Numerous persons on social media sites get the run around when phoning in or chatting on line with dsTV personnel about the streaming problems ....
(8) The new Holiday service announced last week is plain and simply broken --- Many have tried to setup their holiday viewing and have failed to get it to work .....
(9) Oh I forgot to mention that the latest round of channels removals and changes has just about broken every single aspect of the EPG. This then impacts negatively on PVR functionality, causing recordings to fail on a regular basis, breaks the CU downloads. The EPG is no longer working properly on older PVRs, especially the SD PVRs. Channels stop working come back a break again and again.
(10) MC announce a new email address for complaints etc, and that new e-mail address then fails!

I cannot in all the years when I was a Premium subscriber remeber a situation as bad as this and just before the holidays. It is a very serious situation which is just not getting any attention by DSTV management.

At the same time myBB has flooded with articles on DSTV ----- what for?? Maybe they should stop with all this new stuff and get back to the knitting and FIX their systems!

what a cluster****.

Wait, what? Disappointed with DSTv

huh huh huh huh huh lolllllloooooooool

A while ago, they hired developers, as contractors, I might add.
Here is the kicker.
* Appointments were done purely on race
* The people they did get in... let's just say their skills were mediocre at best
* They specifically wanted Java devs. Now I am sorry, what the hell are you trying to do with Java on an embedded system? I do appreciate some of the middleware is indeed Java, but, really... what happened to C and all of the stuff the toolchain vendor provides?
* The chipsets, are used worldwide, and its only here where the issues exist.

Its like code I have had to look at recently... Shocking.. utterly shocking. Memory leaks everywhere because the mentality is "there is garbage collection I don't have to worry". I could go on all day... never heard of C header files and prototypes.. you get the picture.

But, but, we fix the issues once a day with a maintenance reboot! the reboot clears up all the memory leaks and rubbish that has accumulated. Why bother with some proper code development? .....

It makes you sick to the stomach to see a company with a proud record of being innovative and focussed on quality degenerate to such levels of mediocracy.

Last edited:
Back