Discovery Banks Mess

mr_norris

Expert Member
I know that their systems are pathetic and little to no audit trails but this it just scary
That is a bit of an extreme thing to say. They are new, issues are to be expected. I can hardly call an hours downtime an armageddon. Tyme has had their fair share of issues too. As have FNB, and the rest of the older banks.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
This is what happens when a medical aid gets too big for its shoes and tries to compete in a well-regulated space.
By greed you fight your way into a well-established business sector (like you did with medical aid) and by greed you shall die.
Here's a tip Mr Adrian Gore.. when you die you can't take your billions with you.. you will go the same way as we all do... into the ground (or a fire if you chose that option).

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That is a bit of an extreme thing to say. They are new, issues are to be expected. I can hardly call an hours downtime an armageddon. Tyme has had their fair share of issues too. As have FNB, and the rest of the older banks.
Everyone has yes... but generally (and this has been my experience with other banks) is that downtime means the systems don't work, not that they show a zero account balance. That is quite bloody scary.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Everyone has yes... but generally (and this has been my experience with other banks) is that downtime means the systems don't work, not that they show a zero account balance. That is quite bloody scary.
I've lost count on how many times I've logged in to my Standard Bank app only to see my Credit card has a zero balance. No money, no transactions. Leave it a couple of hours and hey presto.

Discovery isn't really unique here. I've been lucky in that it has never happened while at a petrol station or a store where I need to pay for stuff right there.

(to be clear, I'm not defending anybody here, just giving my opinion)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I've lost count on how many times I've logged in to my Standard Bank app only to see my Credit card has a zero balance. No money, no transactions. Leave it a couple of hours and hey presto.

Discovery isn't really unique here. I've been lucky in that it has never happened while at a petrol station or a store where I need to pay for stuff right there.

Weird, I've never seen that with Nedbank or FNB....

I would be equally as scared if I saw something like that with Nedbank or FNB honestly.

Thor

Honorary Master
Discovery is a joke. I closed my bank account

ubercal

Expert Member

Yip , ive seen the same thing with Standard Bank plenty of times.Just ignore it and a few hours later your money "reappears".

gamer16

Honorary Master
Imagine that, 140kmh to the nearest garage at half 2 in the morning for condoms for the pop waiting in your bed, card declines.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Imagine that, 140kmh to the nearest garage at half 2 in the morning for condoms for the pop waiting in your bed, card declines.
That shows a level of piss-poor planning on your part, there should always be a stash of prophylactics available for late night whoring.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Always at least 3 on hand son... you never know how a night may pan out...
You need to change after a couple of hours, rubber doesn't last forever you know, especially not if you are doing a bad job and it goes dry in the well.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
You need to change after a couple of hours, rubber doesn't last forever you know, especially not if you are doing a bad job and it goes dry in the well.
If you need to replenish your emergency stash of 3 condoms because you can't finish the lady off, you have certain problems son...

Charlesjjm

Weird, I've never seen that with Nedbank or FNB....

I would be equally as scared if I saw something like that with Nedbank or FNB honestly.
FNB gave people 'free' money last year and took it back the next day. I've also been in a PnP one year trying to pay with my FNB card when the cashier told me FNB was offline. Had to leave my stuff there and go back the next day. Thankfully it does not happen often, but it does happen.