Discovery Insure - The other side

neoprema

Executive Member
So I understand how Discovery insurance works with regards to tracking good driver behavior for discounts.

What i'de like to know is what happens when you DON'T drive properly? Are you charged more? Or could they cancel your insurance.
I bought a rather fast car, not because i intend to drive like a hooligan constantly, but because every now and then I like to be able to put foot and feel some force, or overtake very quickly etc.

What happens when they track that?

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Me personally, I would never have an Insurers tracking system installed in my vehicle.

They will use it to your disadvantage in a claim.

Oh and I have been in the Insurance industry for 38yrs and still am.

Grubscrew

Expert Member
It is a dark side, the other side if the tracking. About three weeks ago I was accosted by men driving a black Mercedes Vito in the Sandton City Parking lot, they identified themselves as compliance administrators from Discovery Insure and they would like to talk to me about my driving, I recently installed a cone filter and free flow on my Toyota Yaris with a GR kit on it from Auto Style. Apparently, my driving style is outside their recommended allowances, so they need to enforce the penalty clause as stipulated in the insurance contract I signed, they had copy with them and showed me the relevant clause, very generic contract and I believe yours should be the same, have a look on page 276, clause 65.8.5. It states that they can enforce measures to make sure that I stick to the terms of conditions. Two guys held me by my arms and the one guy gave me a single punch to the gut. They said it was a warning and the next time it will be two punches.

It was sore and very humiliating for me, especially since all of this happened in front of the guy that was parked next door to me that drove a polo.

epah

Expert Member
It is a dark side, the other side if the tracking. About three weeks ago I was accosted by men driving a black Mercedes Vito in the Sandton City Parking lot, they identified themselves as compliance administrators from Discovery Insure and they would like to talk to me about my driving, I recently installed a cone filter and free flow on my Toyota Yaris with a GR kit on it from Auto Style. Apparently, my driving style is outside their recommended allowances, so they need to enforce the penalty clause as stipulated in the insurance contract I signed, they had copy with them and showed me the relevant clause, very generic contract and I believe yours should be the same, have a look on page 276, clause 65.8.5. It states that they can enforce measures to make sure that I stick to the terms of conditions. Two guys held me by my arms and the one guy gave me a single punch to the gut. They said it was a warning and the next time it will be two punches.

It was sore and very humiliating for me, especially since all of this happened in front of the guy that was parked next door to me that drove a polo.
:unsure: 1634111297485.png

3WA

Honorary Master
If you stay on Diamond status, they don't give you annual increases. If you drop off Diamond status, in my experience, they hit you with an increase that will make your eyes bleed.

It's also partially out of your control whether you can stay on Diamond, since making a claim will drop you off Diamond. Consistently driving like a maniac will also drop you off Diamond.

neoprema

Executive Member

Well, at least they didn't put you in the van and make you pay back the money in um.. favors...

also, you have quite an imagination :)

neoprema

Executive Member
Me personally, I would never have an Insurers tracking system installed in my vehicle.

They will use it to your disadvantage in a claim.

Oh and I have been in the Insurance industry for 38yrs and still am.
yeah that's my issue too.

So my current insurer uses a cellphone app. I would turn on location settings to satisfy their "you must perform X logged trips per month" on it and then I would turn it off. I tried it yesterday and now it pops up a new message along the lines of "You changed a critical location setting on our app so have been disqualified from any discounts this month."

I guess it was only time before that happened lol. So i'm now looking for another insurer, pref with a lower premium if i don't get discounts and no driver tracking at all. (or being penalized for not tracking)

Grubscrew

Expert Member
Well, at least they didn't put you in the van and make you pay back the money in um.. favors...

also, you have quite an imagination :)
Clearly I never shared that time I used AXE body spray for the first time in front of the girls' university dormitory.

• Haha
Reactions: "D"

The_MAC

Executive Member
Ya no, will never allow my car insurance provider to monitor my behavior.

Same reason why I do not include my home alarm system in my household insurance policy - that one single day that my alarm is faulty will be the day I get broken into and the insurance will be all too happy to not pay out - the saving is negligible, and I assume the same would apply to Discovery insure regarding a vehicle

Hemi300c

Honorary Master

What!!!

Sorry but if as you stated then you left it there?

I would go totally viral and make a huge issue of this huge issue and sue them for everything I could.

• Haha
Reactions: 3WA

Goosfrabba

Expert Member

I call BS. Unless they broke kneecaps, they weren't from your insurer

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
What!!!

Sorry but if as you stated then you left it there?

I would go totally viral and make a huge issue of this huge issue and sue them for everything I could.

I totally assume he was being sarcastic and facetious. I highly doubt discovery has vans of thugs driving around punching people.

Although, given the current state of the internet, that might be a viable business.

neoprema

Executive Member
"We will not use your DQ-Track data for purposes of approving
claims. We will, however, use the information to verify the
time and location of an incident. We may use the information
for general risk management and underwriting purposes to
make sure that you receive the best cover possible."

Vague and then avoidant. I'm sure a lawyer wrote it.

Reactions: air

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Let's put this to bed once and for all.

I've attached my latest Discovery report. You can reach your own conclusions from this ;)

Points A.JPG Points B.JPG

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
"We will not use your DQ-Track data for purposes of approving
claims. We will, however, use the information to verify the
time and location of an incident. We may use the information
for general risk management and underwriting purposes to
make sure that you receive the best cover possible."

Vague and then avoidant. I'm sure a lawyer wrote it.
It says approve claims but nothing about it repudiate claims.