Do you click on ads to support the website?

Mimen

I support freedom of press and know it does not come for free. I often click on ads and have a quick squiz at the content to support my favourite websites like My Broadband, Daily Maverick, MG, news 24, EWN etc.

I was wondering if anyone else has the same view. However, I find monthly subscriptions very expensive, especially as I would like to subscribe to .

I wonder if it would be worth the while for news outlets to have a platform where you pay one subscription but have access to say 5 news outlets premium articles?

I think maybe this can be a POC and piloted for a month or so to see if it would be financially viable.

VooDooC

Nope, never click on ads.

I don't need an ad to tell me what I want or need.

Meelperd

I often click on ads
I would only click on an ad if it's something that interests me.
To contradict this: the ads displayed in my browser are only based on things I already searched for, therefore I never click on an ad, because it never interests me.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Nope, don't click on ads.

The only ads I will click on is the ones from google ads at the top of the search bar when I search for something.

I know what I want and don't want. If I want it I will go search for it.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
I know what I want and don't want. If I want it I will go search for it.
Same with me. I don't think I've ever seen an ad that has make me buy something. Its like TV ads, does anyone actually see a product and then think I need to go out and buy this?

Last edited:

Hellhound105

Expert Member
LoL freedom of press - They all have agendas. Either keeping the investors or paid for content people happy.

CNN = Counterfeit news network is an excellent example.

Meelperd

Its like TV ads, does anyone actually see a product and then think I need to go out and buy this?
Yip! Nando's... but as they reveal the price I change my mind. :ROFL:

On a more serious note: Yes! I know some people who actually do this - appliances, gadgets, fashion, accessories... all sorts of crap they don't need (or actually want for that matter).

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I support freedom of press and know it does not come for free. I often click on ads and have a quick squiz at the content to support my favourite websites like My Broadband, Daily Maverick, MG, news 24, EWN etc.
AFAIK MyBB's revenue is generated by impressions not clicks.

Mimen

Pardon my ignorance, but are some news sites paid only?
(I only browse MyBB and Flipboard which are both free)
Not that I know of but most of them have a premium section which comes at a cost.

Salmank

I dont click on adds, but now and then when I am lucky to be the millionth visitor on a site and I therefore am eligible for $5 000 000, I definitely click on those.

Only problem is over the last 15 years, I clicked on thousands of these prizes that I won. Nothing came yet, but I am still positive. Probably it will be my retirement!

Tman*

Expert Member

I was wondering if anyone else has the same view. However, I find monthly subscriptions very expensive, especially as I would like to subscribe to .

I wonder if it would be worth the while for news outlets to have a platform where you pay one subscription but have access to say 5 news outlets premium articles?

I think maybe this can be a POC and piloted for a month or so to see if it would be financially viable.
IMO if your news is really that good, people won't need to pay for it to access it as a premium content.

Milano

Honorary Master
I do not block any ads I just never see them. It's as though they are auto-blocked by my eyeballs.

werfie

Expert Member
No, not in support of any site. I only click on an add if it is something I am interested in... this is the purpose of ads, no?