Do you earn the same amount as your co-workers?

46Female

Expert Member
if you work in an office with people doing the same job as you do you think you get paid the same amount?
& you have the same experience

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Women generally get paid less than men in many situations on account that they (generally) are don't want to upset the apple cart and ask for higher wages.

I for one once got myself into a position at a new company where I was the highest paid person outside of management and I had no prior formal experience in that role.

Let's just say the rest of the staff were really salt. I don't know how the topic of money came up but I was younger and naive telling people how much my salary was.

cguy

Executive Member
if you work in an office with people doing the same job as you do you think you get paid the same amount?
& you have the same experience
Nope. The messy details usually make things blurry. The jobs typically aren’t the same, not done exactly the same way by all employees. Also, labor market conditions, staff cohesion (positive vs toxic), prior history, future prospects and qualification differences means that retention targets may be different.

There is also bigotism and personally biased management of course, but the above paragraph are some of the legitimate reasons.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It's better for staff morale if the conditions for earning more are made public so that everyone has a fair chance to give it a shot, like deferring the difference to performance bonuses with clear targets or stating clearly if it's based on qualifications.

Doing it in dark corners and later people finding out can result in a very unpleasant work environment, people working together do require help and favours from each other, so it is much better if it's clear that the next person earns better because of 1,2 and 3, instead of it being open to different interpretations and speculation.

ZizzyBoy

In My previous company they claimed to use a union standard / market related salary for the positions - but clearly there is a difference in Salary as after they changed everyone to Market related salaries they changed peoples work Titles inciting that the title name changes needed to be made to accommodate the different salaries even thou we were all doing the same job

So I do believe that many a persons work in environments where their peeps earl different to each other 100%

TheChamp

Honorary Master
In My previous company they claimed to use a union standard / market related salary for the positions - but clearly there is a difference in Salary as after they changed everyone to Market related salaries they changed peoples work Titles inciting that the title name changes needed to be made to accommodate the different salaries even thou we were all doing the same job

So I do believe that many a persons work in environments where their peeps earl different to each other 100%
That sounds like a good scam from your employer.

azbob

Honorary Master
The worst type of situations are:

Person A - Starts at company Z after graduation. Gets inflation related increases every year.

Person B - Starts at company X, moves to Y after a few years and then to Z after a few years. Getting a 10-20% increase each time.

Now A and B are both at company Z with the same qualifications and experience doing the exact same job but B is earning substantially more despite an “equal pay for equal work policy”.

R13...

Honorary Master
Yes. The joys of unionized labour. We all get the same pay. Viva.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I know currently we have salary bands for each role, but it wasn't always the case.
At my previous job, I know we also had salary bands. I think the biggest difference possible in a band was something like 10%, and I do think that there can easily be a difference in contribution by people in the same role.

Bighit

Expert Member
If you feel underpaid, then it's up to you and your negotiating skills.

cguy

Executive Member
The worst type of situations are:

Person A - Starts at company Z after graduation. Gets inflation related increases every year.

Person B - Starts at company X, moves to Y after a few years and then to Z after a few years. Getting a 10-20% increase each time.

Now A and B are both at company Z with the same qualifications and experience doing the exact same job but B is earning substantially more despite an “equal pay for equal work policy”.
Arguably, Person B has experience from 3 different companies, and has taken a different set of risks (including being considered a job hopper, which may impact future opportunities).

Perhaps Person A either lacks initiative, or is perhaps waiting/setting themselves up to become a key person (hopefully with a big promotion) where they are now.

“Same work and same experience” seldom exist in practice, and short term wins may become long term losses.

FiZeR

Arguably, Person B has experience from 3 different companies, and has taken a different set of risks (including being considered a job hopper, which may impact future opportunities).

Perhaps Person A either lacks initiative, or is perhaps waiting/setting themselves up to become a key person (hopefully with a big promotion) where they are now.

“Same work and same experience” seldom exist in practice, and short term wins may become long term losses.
Loyalty doesn't get rewarded.

FiZeR

I know currently we have salary bands for each role, but it wasn't always the case.
At my previous job, I know we also had salary bands. I think the biggest difference possible in a band was something like 10%, and I do think that there can easily be a difference in contribution by people in the same role.
Bands don't really mean anything in our company. I get less money than someone two bands lower. Contributing factor is that every time the company struggles the bargaining unit employees get increases while the "higher" ups have to take one for the team.