Do you pay your speeding fines?

Do you pay your speeding fines?

  • Yes

    Votes: 66 41.8%
  • No

    Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Other

    Votes: 31 19.6%

  • Total voters
    158
Speeding fines in Johannesburg and Pretoria I just ignore because the traffic authorities are unable to follow the correct procedures which usually make them lapse after 3 months.They can also not force you to pay them at roadblocks.

Those in the rest of the country I only pay if a physical summons is delivered to me. I have not received such summonses in the last 20 years.
 
Speeding fines in Johannesburg and Pretoria I just ignore because the traffic authorities are unable to follow the correct procedures which usually make them lapse after 3 months.They can also not force you to pay them at roadblocks.

Those in the rest of the country I only pay if a physical summons is delivered to me. I have not received such summonses in the last 20 years.
what do you mean? they threaten you with jail if you don't pay there. on what grounds do you object?
 
Yes, I do pay, it is rare though. If I get 1 every other year its a lot.
 
Yes. Most likely going to get a few from speeding between CPT,BLM and JHB
 
what do you mean? they threaten you will jail if you don't pay there. on what grounds do you object?
Traffic fines in Pretoria and Johannesburg are administrative fines. They can threaten as much as they want but because it is civil rather than criminal they cannot lock you up. Next time just laugh at them.
 
Traffic fines in Pretoria and Johannesburg are administrative fines. They can threaten as much as they want but because it is civil rather than criminal they cannot lock you up. Next time just laugh at them.
You mean apart from pretoria & Jozi, they can lock you up? I thought they have to have warrant of arrest for this but one never knows as maybe CT is very strict on this.
 
Been driving for almost 30 years. Only ever received 3 or 4 fines. Last one was about 5 years ago.
 
Traffic fines in Pretoria and Johannesburg are administrative fines. They can threaten as much as they want but because it is civil rather than criminal they cannot lock you up. Next time just laugh at them.
Maybe legal they can't but that doesn't mean they will not, specially if you laugh at them.
 
Do you know the worst place they trap you? Near your kids' school. When traffic is backed up, and you are running late, and you dont come to a complete dead stop behind a stop sign at 7h40 in the morning. You stop maybe on the line, but not perfectly behind the line. And thank you, that's a few hundred bucks. Oh we used our camcorder to record it. So when you ask to see the video, they show you that you stopped, but not perfectly behind the line but on top of the line, because the stop street is painted 2m back from the corner.
 
You mean apart from pretoria & Jozi, they can lock you up? I thought they have to have warrant of arrest for this but one never knows as maybe CT is very strict on this.
Well in CT if you ignore the fine then they get the court to issue a warrant of arrest.

But this is also going to change because AARTO will be implemented soon countrywide which means traffic fines in CT will also become administrative fines.

Under AARTO they cannot issue a warrant of arrest.
 
They can lock you up if you laugh at them.

Resisting arrest is also a crime.
Since when can you be locked up in a civil case? Debtors jail has been abolished in South Africa 100 years ago.
You can safely laugh at them because you are not resisting arrest, you are just calling their bluff.
 
Yes - once the summons is in my hands and I can pay it at the local cop shop.
 
If I get one and I know that I was speeding I will pay because I was at fault. I will not try using technicalities to try to get away with it. Having said that, the last speeding fine I got was inside the Huguenot tunnel in 2014 I think.
Ahh so you are the type of guy that drives on my ass when the speed limit in the tunnel is 60. It seems the speed limit changes sometimes based on how busy the tunnel is.
 
Traffic fines in Pretoria and Johannesburg are administrative fines. They can threaten as much as they want but because it is civil rather than criminal they cannot lock you up. Next time just laugh at them.
nah down here in the republic you go to jail I reckon...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X