Do you still regularly send SMS messages?

Do you still regularly send SMS messages?

• Yes

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • No

Votes: 35 79.5%

• Total voters

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Do you still send SMS messages to friends and family? Why do you use SMS instead of dedicated messaging apps?

Jola

Honorary Master
No, Vodacom still has outrageous pricing on SMS texting, so avoid like the plague.

Vodacom pricing specially designed to exploit the poor, unlike most other african countries, where SMS pricing has always been low.

This is why WhatsApp took of so quickly in SA, unlike the USA where many people still don't use it because texting is so cheap.

So Vodacom played a major role in the success of WhatsApp in this country.

OCP

Expert Member
Yes - even though i gave my father in law a smartphone, he insists on using his old nokia brick.
no touch screen, no color screen, and you need to press same button multiple times for different letters.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yes - even though i gave my father in law a smartphone, he insists on using his old nokia brick.
no touch screen, no color screen, and you need to press same button multiple times for different letters.
My smartphone keyboard is set up like that :ROFL: qwerty is just too small for my big fingers and when I have to setup mail on users phones I make lots of typos.

Anyway, onto the topic, I SMS often enough on my Nokia 3310 (2016) when work people contact me on it (thats the nr I give out). I do not want them to be able to whatsapp me, I'd rather pay SMS costs than have them whatsapp me.

Last edited:

Cr419

Executive Member
Sometimes do, I get 50 free sms's a day. I get way to many whatsapp messages so I try to not go on to many times during the day because then I feel I have to respond. I have a second whatsapp application on my phone for my second sim, only my wife has that number so I use that during the day and ignore all the crap that get's sent on my main number.

gfmalan

Expert Member
Yes, I send business related comms via SMS, status updates etc.

I have WhatsApp but hate it, only problem is my clients use it, so I have to keep it.

So SMS is great if you don’t want to send pictures, and you don’t want to bother finding out if other side has an app.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I have 100 messages on my monthly bundle.
I still have 100 available.

Only time I send an sms is when I have a call I can't take and I swipe on the phone to answer with an sms saying i'm in a meeting or whatever

/edit my burglar alarm sends about 300 per month though

Trompie67

Expert Member
Yes, our Telkom mobile package gives each of us 300 sms messages a month as part of the contract.

Lets the kids get hold of us ( and vice versa) when they've run out of data or are in a poor coverage area.

Also, our estate access control uses sms to send exit codes for visitors. It's easier to forward the sms than to copy/paste it into whatsapp.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Some of the guys at work have cheapie cellphones that can't get Whatsapp, so they send me SMSes once in while and I respond back.