Do you take code home?

VG008

How is that done without dropbox? MS Skydrive?

Also, does the computer you are remoting have to be on and have internet?

I have a desktop PC at work which isn't on the internet, however the company has an entry point into the company's network which is accessible via the internet. So, I create a secure connection to the companys network via a VPN & RSA Token.

Once I'm on the company's network, I can use Windows remote desktop to accessible my work PC.
So basically I'll continue coding on my desktop, but from my warm bed :D

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Isn't it laggy as hell for coding?

VPN to my work is kinda tedious...despite wild infrastructure.

VG008

Nope, works fine - not super seamless. It does freeze sometimes, but thats very rare.

I do use client tools on my laptop to connect to the database though. Works better.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Nope, works fine - not super seamless. It does freeze sometimes, but thats very rare.

I do use client tools on my laptop to connect to the database though. Works better.
Flippin hell. I can barely check my mail over VPN.

I guess thats one of the advantages of being in an IT shop. If its wrong people see its wrong & scream.

As opposed to "oh its always been slow - its normal". sigh

shogun

Expert Member
It's only espionage if you are sending it to someone else, or your company doesn't want you to take it home.

I have yet to be in a company where work from home wasn't allowed. In the development world, I know few developers that don't do extra work from home... it's not like they are minimum wage employees that are at risk of abuse. They do it because they are paid well, and they want their projects to succeed.

I've always done extra work from home. Back when I worked for someone else I did. I do so even more that I work for myself. Weekends and public holidays are sometimes fair game as well now unfortunately:/ I didn't see my job as a 9-5 (even though it was), I saw each project as its own, with deadlines. Now in my own company, it's definitely not 9-5. Doing this was just work ethic... but it had the pleasant side effect of allowing me to grow quickly and it definitely got recognition. As long as you don't let it damage your personal life much, it definitely helps getting projects done ahead of schedule. IMO 8 hours is just not enough time spent working.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
My work laptop is almost always with me. But I hate working at home so only really do if the **** its the fan. I'd rather go in early or work late than bring it home but it doesn't always work that way.

senyetse

Yep, my work laptop is with me all the time. However, I very, very rarely work from home. I will if there's an emergency at home and I have to be there. The nature of my job is (luckily) such that it's not required to work after hours. I'm studying part-time, so I don't really have the time.