Do you use Smartfolders and how?

macboer

Do you use Smartfolders and how?

It seems like it should be a "cool feature" but i havn't found a use for it yet. Have you?

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
I sometimes use the "today" folder, but not really much. It's actually a super convenient feature, especially if your files are all over the place, but I organize my files into proper folders so I have no issues there.

macboer

Yes, i also sometimes use that. I was also thinking of making a .Pdf folder to see all my pdfs cause they are usually important.

sundeshbalraj

You are asking about smart folders on the iPhone I assume?

Just hold your finger on any icon until it changes to edit mode and then drag it onto another icon that you want in the same group. It suggests a name for the smart folder.

You can use this feature to group apps e.g. games

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
No that's just folders for iPhone OS 4.0 and higher.

Macboer refers to smart folders on Mac OS X, which are folders created with a spotlight search query rule. Just like smart playlists in iTunes.

clasqm

Smartfolders are one of those things that ought to be useful, but somehow never really are. Like Expose (ducking for cover). The way to make them do something is to be obsessive about entering metadata into each file's spotlight comments field. For example, if every collaborator on a document makes sure to enter their names in the spotlight comment each time they work on it, you could have smartfolders like: "Files that John Smith has worked on".

But unless Mac OSX makes adding metadata as comprehensive and ridiculously easy as it was in BeOS and still is in Haiku, it is not going anywhere.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
'Documents' and 'Downloads' tend to get quite saturated... I have a 'Recent' smart folder where files of any type created in the last 2 months can be found. It does help.