Does console gaming demo CD's still exist?

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I still remember the good old days when I could walk into paperweight/CNA and buy one of those official PS magazines @ R14 :)

The thing is almost every issue came with a demo disc so you could play a little preview of the latest titles. I still remember some discs had up to 10 demos..awesome.

Today however you only seem to find cd's with some videos one them..meh.
Do these demo cd's still exist for current consoles?

CHURCHILL

Expert Member
I think the UK OPM comes with a Blu-ray disk and a whole lot of demo's on it,
the last OPM i bought was about 6 months ago and it had 24 demo's on it.

Demo's like Drake,Formula 1,skate, Ratchet basically all the demos you would find on the PSN.

The mag costs about R140, its actually cheaper to by it for all the demo's, then to spend bucks on bandwidth and downloading them at about 1GB a pop.

maestro_za

Expert Member
There is OXM (The Official Xbox Magazine) at CNA. Cost's R140 though :(

It has demo games and other goodies on the cover disc.

doobiwan

Executive Member
There's a lot more security around runnable content these days, so only the official magazines have - OXM and OPM.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
what is so special about these 'official' blerry magazines anyway ...... ripoffs.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I'll go check out paperweight....they should have most of those mags @ half the price ;)

CHURCHILL

Expert Member
Like i said, The mag costs about R140, its actually cheaper to by it for all the demo's, then to spend bucks on bandwidth and downloading them at about 1GB a pop.

The last disk i got had about 24 demo's, so i think R140 once off is worth it, if you want to subscribe and get a monthly issue then its a rip off.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
Like i said, The mag costs about R140, its actually cheaper to by it for all the demo's, then to spend bucks on bandwidth and downloading them at about 1GB a pop.

The last disk i got had about 24 demo's, so i think R140 once off is worth it, if you want to subscribe and get a monthly issue then its a rip off.

+1

smokey

Honorary Master
It's similar to the NAG debate we had here yesterday. I needed needed Nvidia drivers and instead of downloading the 160 odd megs needed I dug up a NAG DVD I bought two-three odd months ago and installed from the disc. R140 for 2 Demo's would already be about breakeven - (Axxess R70 a gig, 2 x 1 gig demos). So its a matter of economics. Once bandwidth becomes cheaper (you know, like 30 years from now) - those Mags will become obsolete. Gamespot/IGN for reviews with video and demos that don't make a dent in your wallet.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
I suppose if you're heavily into demos then it's ok .... but I outgrew them ages ago. I still buy NAG though (also for the drivers and such).

Xyber

Problem with OPM is that some of the demos they got ons there ahve bene on the disc for the past few months and you normally only get like 1 or 2 new dmeos you have not seen before, so I buy that mag every oooooother month or when I see there is a featured demo on the bluray that I want to actually check out.

Btw, anyone know of a paperweight in centurion/pretoria area. I knew bout one a long time aggo and can't even remember where it was.