Does Telkom offer SIP?

feo

Honorary Master
Sorry it didn't work . Telkom also our ISP & they installed & provided the ONT , probably why it works for us.
The Openserve guys setup the ONT for me, but Telkom isn't my ISP.

I want my internet service to come from Vox but voice should be from Telkom (but not on copper, ideally a VOIP solution)

Geoff.D

Executive Member
It won't just work. As per the plan for me , the service will be transferred over to fibre and the telephone ports activated..
The telephone services is not dependent on you getting your ISP services from Telkom.
I have not personally experienced this yet, so my comments are based on what I have been told will happen.

feo

Honorary Master
It won't just work. As per the plan for me , the service will be transferred over to fibre and the telephone ports activated..
The telephone services is not dependent on you getting your ISP services from Telkom.
I have not personally experienced this yet, so my comments are based on what I have been told will happen.
Are you referring to having a normal telephone service which plugs into your ONT?

I initially started the thread to see if Telkom offered a VOIP service. One where they supply you with a username and password and where you can use those credentials inside a VOIP handset, softphone or something like FreePBX.

Im trying to move away from traditional copper and having to pay R200+ pm for a basic service. But I still want to keep my Telkom number and have the free on network calls during off peak.

Daisy Cloudskitter

In my case, I have been playing a "hang on until they offer me a deal that I can't refuse" approach.
And it has worked. I have been offered a free upgrade to fibre with VOIP as the fibre is now available and they want to get rid of the copper services in our area. So I have not pushed the issue at all. I don't have the details yet, as, this is supposed to happen in January.
^^ Also played ‘adsl hang on’ until they offered “free’ fibre upgrade, but we waited a year after they said ‘fibre now available’. ( it wasn’t)

Then new 24 mnth contract signups were installed in the area before ‘ free’ upgrades, so we just signed up rather than risk downtime & the infamous Telkom cancellation hassles to change ISPs. Our old slow ADSL was working OK throughout the wait.

Now all good - faultless Telkom / Openserve fibre for over a year. Only paying extra ~R150 mnth for everything, inc. installation, new hardware, speed upgrade, free calls, the lot.

Was worth the wait, hang in there even if it doesn't happen this month.:)