Domain Transfer Taking Long

Grubby

I don't understand why a domain transfer takes so long!. I am trying to transfer a domain from webafrica(gridhost) to namecheap. Apparently it takes up to 7 days. Its been 2 and half so far..

flbjhb

Just depends on when the link to approve the transfer is clicked.

ld13

Honorary Master
Co.za domain? I did a few this week and the transfer went through within minutes of the Accept/approve link being clicked by the parties involved. That being said, the domains in question had no holds on them and were paid up with no pending renewals or anything odd.

lowriderza

Expert Member
I don't understand why a domain transfer takes so long!. I am trying to transfer a domain from webafrica(gridhost) to namecheap. Apparently it takes up to 7 days. Its been 2 and half so far..
Follow up with them, I got my domains moved in a few hours time. They use transfer codes nowadays. Webafrica will give you the code and you should be able to type it in on the namecheap side.

Edit: This applies for .com please see @Jade @ ZA Domains post below :giggle:

Last edited:

Jade @ ZA Domains

ZA Domains representative
Company Rep
The registry sends out a transfer approval email and as soon as the approve link is followed the domain is transferred immediately.

If you haven’t received the email then get WA to confirm what the registrant email is. If theirs, klap them and ask them to approve.
If yours, then check your junk mail folder as zacr’s mail servers have been blacklisted for years and they see no need to get their ip’s cleaned.

If none of the above apply then get name cheap to cancel the transfer and try again.

Co.za domains don’t use transfer / epp codes.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
The registry sends out a transfer approval email and as soon as the approve link is followed the domain is transferred immediately.

If you haven’t received the email then get WA to confirm what the registrant email is. If theirs, klap them and ask them to approve.
If yours, then check your junk mail folder as zacr’s mail servers have been blacklisted for years and they see no need to get their ip’s cleaned.

If none of the above apply then get name cheap to cancel the transfer and try again.

Are you sure of that? I've used the EPP system on at least one that I have.

Jade @ ZA Domains

Company Rep
Are you sure of that? I've used the EPP system on at least one that I have.
Absolutely, ZACR doesnt support epp at this stage.
Its in the pipeline (domain lock) at a premium rate of R900 per domain per year or around there

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Absolutely, ZACR doesnt support epp at this stage.
Its in the pipeline (domain lock) at a premium rate of R900 per domain per year or around there
Hmmm... :unsure: guess my host at the time was feeding me BS in the dark to extort money out of me...

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Sure it uses the EPP system, but no EPP codes in sight. Not for .co.za domains at least.
Thank you for the clarification... Yes it doesn't use those codes like you'd see on a .com domain.

Jade @ ZA Domains

Company Rep
Hmmm... :unsure: guess my host at the time was feeding me BS in the dark to extort money out of me...
There is no epp code / transfer code along with no transfer fee
Sure it uses the EPP system, but no EPP codes in sight. Not for .co.za domains at least.
Correct, multitasking here on a friday and beer time is close.

ZACR use the epp system, but dont support epp codes / transfer codes.
Thank you for the clarification... Yes it doesn't use those codes like you'd see on a .com domain.
155%

Grubby

Follow up with them, I got my domains moved in a few hours time. They use transfer codes nowadays. Webafrica will give you the code and you should be able to type it in on the namecheap side.

Edit: This applies for .com please see @Jade @ ZA Domains post below :giggle:
I did. Got the EPP etc. Everything is sorted on the new host site. I've opened 2 tickets and just get the same response "It may take up to 7 days"

Grubby

They never sent any email for me to verify. I actually asked them if there was anything else to do besides unlocking the domain and getting the epp key from them and they said no.

Jade @ ZA Domains

Company Rep
To clarify the process and time frames of a co.za domain transfer
Gaining registrar initiates a transfer request and the registry sends out a mail to the registrant requesting that they vote on the transfer. At the same time the loosing rar receives an epp poll message which informs them of the transfer.

The registrar may approve or deny the transfer.

If the registrant approves the transfer via the link provided within the transfer email, the domain is immediately transferred to the gaining rar - irrespective of the registrar's approve or deny vote.

The registrant's vote always supersedes the registrars vote.

In the event that the registrant does not approve or deny the transfer, and the registrar has accepted the transfer then the transfer will proceed within 5 days of the date of transfer request.

Subject to the domain not having expired, or be within its registration grace period (7days).

Jade @ ZA Domains

Company Rep
Could be. I just checked the registrant email address on whois as you suggested and it's some wierd url. I have asked them to verify
It will look weird as all data has been redacted, hence its best to have the current registrar (WA / 1-Grid) confirm which email address they assigned to the registrant.

As per above, if you are the registrant then check your spam folder, if not, query and have them rectify.
Dont ask them to update the contact email address to yours as the update takes 5 days to complete and you'll need to start the process over.

Grubby

To clarify the process and time frames of a co.za domain transfer
Gaining registrar initiates a transfer request and the registry sends out a mail to the registrant requesting that they vote on the transfer. At the same time the loosing rar receives an epp poll message which informs them of the transfer.

The registrar may approve or deny the transfer.

If the registrant approves the transfer via the link provided within the transfer email, the domain is immediately transferred to the gaining rar - irrespective of the registrar's approve or deny vote.

The registrant's vote always supersedes the registrars vote.

In the event that the registrant does not approve or deny the transfer, and the registrar has accepted the transfer then the transfer will proceed within 5 days of the date of transfer request.

Subject to the domain not having expired, or be within its registration grace period (7days).
I wish i knew this 2 days ago. Thanks for taking the time to explain the process.