Domains is currently under DDOS attack

The Web Space Bar

The Web Space Bar rep
Company Rep
Good morning all

We currently have our hosting environment with domains.co.za

They are under DDOS attack at the moment so the network to all our servers is saturated.

The connection to all hosts is slow to none. We host a large number of servers with them and this has a severe impact on our hosting capability.

There is currently no ETA on when this will be over as we don't know the size or extent of the DDOS attack.

Network engineers are trying to mitigate the attack, but as with any DDOS attack, if its large enough from enough sources its nearly impossible to stop. Like a thunderstorm, you need to wait it out.

It is at this stage that we seriously consider finding a data center in the EU with better DDOS mitigation capability as there are centers with years of experience in mitigating large attacks with almost no noticeable downtime.

We need to weigh the extra latency to the EU with business being offline for our customers during a DDOS attack.

We have hosted with every single provider in South Africa and we have had terrible DDOS mitigation experience with all of them (except for Domains as this is the first DDOS attack they are having while we are hosting with them and we are watching how well it's mitigated very closely). Depending on how quick connection is restored we will remain with domains (and in South Africa) or pack up, back up, cancel leave and migrate to the EU during December.

Murmaider

Hi,

Traffic should be much better, the adjustments made to mitigation for this specific attacked started relieving traffic at around 7:00am and traffic normalised at 7:30am. This is not our first DDoS, we had a 5 day long continuous DDoS in early October as well and there is constantly random DDoS attacks occurring which we mitigate on regular basis.

Due to the nature of these attacks, I can not publish to much information, however I did try give you a call a few minutes ago on your cellphone where I will be able to give you more information.

Regards,
Dave @ Domains.co.za

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I blame the ANC. Not good at much, but destroying things is their speciality.
That variable exists far in the macro environment, it's a bit far-fetched in this context. Attacking everyone except Gov't department seems to make little sense.

theratman

Executive Member
Still experiencing lots of issues on sites hosted by domains due to the ddos. Even their site is struggling to load.

theratman

Executive Member
"13:36
-------

Due to the massive size of this DDoS attack, we have had to resort to come some extreme mitigation techniques which is affecting international connectivity"

About half of my sites are down, extremely frustrating.

Ianf1

Expert Member
My sites are slow and no email being received! Any idea of the status?

chopsky

Expert Member
That variable exists far in the macro environment, it's a bit far-fetched in this context. Attacking everyone except Gov't department seems to make little sense.
I have no idea what you're talking about, but I was pretty much joking.