Don't be "fooled" into buying e-tags: SAMWU

Executive Member
Unions, general public, private companies and pretty much everyone not linked to the project is against this... democracy my ass.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I wonder what's going to happen in the end. Will the majority of the people not just give in to the hassle of driving congested back roads and end up paying?

Bismuth

Expert Member
I wonder what's going to happen in the end. Will the majority of the people not just give in to the hassle of driving congested back roads and end up paying?

No, I think the idea is to not get an etag, BUT still drive on the toll road/highway, and with the amount of invoices they will need to generate, then not get payment on, and try to enforce, the whole system will collapse. I can't see it handling a couple of million each month (or week, aren't supposed to receive on within 7 days, they say?).

B

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
No, I think the idea is to not get an etag, BUT still drive on the toll road/highway, and with the amount of invoices they will need to generate, then not get payment on, and try to enforce, the whole system will collapse. I can't see it handling a couple of million each month (or week, aren't supposed to receive on within 7 days, they say?).

B

It would be interesting to see what happens. The government seems to be pretty creative when it comes to collecting money. But let's see.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Government will have to put in place legislation which basically forces you to get an e-tag. If not the system will fail.

Bismuth

Expert Member
It would be interesting to see what happens. The government seems to be pretty creative when it comes to collecting money. But let's see.

They can do, if they link it to your annual registration renewal or something, then we're basically screwed!.

Government will have to put in place legislation which basically forces you to get an e-tag. If not the system will fail.

Like I said above, if they somehow manage to link it to the annual registration renewals. But even then, what about the people that live in areas that don't have a Etoll system in place. Maybe that's why SANRAL wants to toll the entire country?.

B

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
How this thing got to the point where they spent the billions constructing the gateways in the first place boggles my mind. With this level of expenditure, would have imagined that a senior member of government would have had to sign off.

Wonder what the thought process was in his mind:

Option 1: Spend billions on construction; when operational, pay large % of income collected to concession holder

Option 2: Increase fuel levy - spend zero on infrastructure or third party - money for jam

Hmm...okay, fck it - go with Option 1

BBSA

Honorary Master
They can do, if they link it to your annual registration renewal or something, then we're basically screwed!.

They tried that for ages for outstanding fines...... never worked. Don’t fall for the SANRAL propaganda.

Bismuth

Expert Member
They tried that for ages for outstanding fines...... never worked. Don’t fall for the SANRAL propaganda.

Heh, don't worry about that, was just thinking about how they could force people to pay. Forget about the fines thing, actually!

B

grok

Honorary Master
How about don't be "fooled" into voting for those ANC assclowns again hey SAMWU .. :erm:

oom

The poor people they keep saying are the ones that need to be helped with getting free electricity etc, get screwed more due to the rippling effects these kind of things have on the economy. It is time for REAL change, cause we cannot carry on like this. The economy can only handle so much before it crumbles too much and cause riots and blood shed!

Devill

Damned

I think most will just drive on the highway, and see if the e-toll admin can handle sending 3 mil. bills out every month :)