DSTV alternatives - September 2018

Dee96

Hi guys

So the time has come to get my own own place. I will be living with a mate of mine.

Looking at the TV options, we both watch similar series and movies but I don't see us getting DSTV. There is just way too much repeats and it's too expensive for the full package but I do like the simplicity and the option to have something on for background noise.

Ideally, I wanted to get 10mbs uncapped fibre and have Netflix but the more I research it, the more options I get. My latest 2 options are switchtoswitch.co.za and Mobdro which is attractive due to the zero monthly subscription.

I was also looking at a Mibox. Ideally I want something with good quality and decent selection. I really don't see us watching sports often. Current series we follow are suits, Game of Thrones, modern family, young Sheldon ect. Movie's we enjoy are comedies and marvel movies.

What would you recommend for us to get a decent selection. I don't mind watching the latest episode a few weeks after release. I also plan on getting a smart TV of that makes a difference.

If you suggest Netflix, is the SA selection decent?

BlackMamba

Expert Member
DSTV holds an unfair upper hand due to their vast rights of sports...

Hemps

Executive Member
If you get DNS service you can stream freetoview channels from UK, OZ an NZ.
20Mb VDSL Vox

My List on ATV4

South Africa
Netflix SA
Showmax
DSTV now

UK
BBC iPlayer
iTV
Channel 5

Australia
7Plus
TenPlay

New Zealand
TVnz https://www.tvnz.co.nz/

EDit:

https://tubitv.com

For Series/Movies I get off snaphp and store on media pc

Last edited:

Dee96

20Mb VDSL Vox

My List on ATV4

South Africa
Netflix SA
Showmax
DSTV now

UK
BBC iPlayer
iTV
Channel 5

Australia
7Plus
TenPlay

New Zealand

Thanks will look into those

mkhululi.mm

20Mb VDSL Vox

My List on ATV4

South Africa
Netflix SA
Showmax
DSTV now

UK
BBC iPlayer
iTV
Channel 5

Australia
7Plus
TenPlay

New Zealand

Hi @Hemps.

You are on point. A DNS service is better than a VPN as it is cheaper and won't reduce his broadband speed. ITV HUB does not work on the Mi Box (He can use it on his smartphone). BBC iPlayer works perfectly on the Mi Box and will require an air mouse. He can also use it on a smartphone without additional investment on an air mouse.

For free sports streaming, he can google heshgoal. As synonymous with all freebies, he will experience buffering.

If he gets a Mi Box, he can download DStvNow. By using the " parents' home" login details, he can piggyback on the "parents' home" account and won't have to make any extra payments. He can simply tap from the "parents' home" DStv account. DStvNow allows two simultaneous streams on one account.

Charl10

I was also looking at a Mibox. Ideally I want something with good quality and decent selection. I really don't see us watching sports often. Current series we follow are suits, Game of Thrones, modern family, young Sheldon ect. Movie's we enjoy are comedies and marvel movies.
If you're not going to be watching sport, then steer very clear of DSTV definitely.
I have Netflix, enjoy it very much and not too expensive. Movie choices aren't amazing, the movies on Netflix are only Netflix originals and then a bunch of older movies. But for series and documentaries it's pretty great.

Charl10

Oh and for series like Modern Family, Sheldon, etc. you can look into Showmax.
Showmax has most of the titles that you would normally find on MNet, so that's potentially a better option for your choice of series.

You could always do both (Netflix and Showmax), I think Showmax is quite cheap if not mistaken.

Voldemort

Death eater
On my media box i use an app called Cinema- gives me access to any movies or series i want and it's pretty stable.

Dee96

Oh and for series like Modern Family, Sheldon, etc. you can look into Showmax.
Showmax has most of the titles that you would normally find on MNet, so that's potentially a better option for your choice of series.

You could always do both (Netflix and Showmax), I think Showmax is quite cheap if not mistaken.
I intend to get showmax as my folks have DSTV Premium so I will use their login

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Netflix SA for me @ R99/m
Piggy back on a mates DSTV account and stream the F1 every 2nd weekend. (Other than that I don't go near DSTV).

I do not need more, get off ya lazy butt and go explore the outdoors

Madaboutbullterriers

20Mb VDSL Vox

My List on ATV4

South Africa
Netflix SA
Showmax
DSTV now

UK
BBC iPlayer
iTV
Channel 5

Australia
7Plus
TenPlay

New Zealand

EDit:

https://tubitv.com

Please can you tell me how I can add the Australian channels I have a vpn and dns service with smart DNS & have all the american channels plus British but don't know how to access the Australian ones (I have a firestick)

Hemps

Executive Member
Please can you tell me how I can add the Australian channels I have a vpn and dns service with smart DNS & have all the american channels plus British but don't know how to access the Australian ones (I have a firestick)
I have Apple TV4 and just downloaded the apps off app store.

Australia
7Plus
TenPlay

New Zealand
TVnz

You then have to go into smartdnsproxy settings - Update - the switch to OZ or NZ