DStv Explora Ultra now supports YouTube

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
DStv Explora Ultra now supports YouTube

MultiChoice has added YouTube app support to its DStv Explora Ultra, allowing subscribers to access the popular streaming platform directly on their decoder.

YouTube joins a number of streaming services and apps available on the Explora Ultra, including Showmax, Box Office, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Joox.

"DStv subscribers can now watch YouTube, where every day people watch over a billion hours of video, including music videos, short and documentary films, live streams and video blogs," MultiChoice said.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
To access YouTube on the Explora Ultra, a subscriber must have an active DStv subscription, pay the access fee, and have a high-speed and stable Internet connection.

tenor.gif

ADrunkTeddyBear

Does the explorer ultra have a gigabit ethernet port? Or is it 100mbps like most TV's and android boxes on the market?

SuperMario

I really don't understand why DSTV is doing this. Why can't they just focus on proper streaming quality via their existing smart tv app, where we already have access to all the other services as well.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Can one still use the apps if you cancelled your subscripstion or haven't paid? Might be a stupid question but I wouldn't put it past them to restrict access.

SuperMario

Can one still use the apps if you cancelled your subscripstion or haven't paid? Might be a stupid question but I wouldn't put it past them to restrict access.
Probably not on the decoder (which obviously would make no sense), but through your smart tv yes. I'm not 100% sure though.

ADrunkTeddyBear

No
To access YouTube on the Explora Ultra, a subscriber must have an active DStv subscription, pay the access fee, and have a high-speed and stable Internet connection.

system32

Expert Member
Apr 2021
The DStv Explora Ultra has a recommended retail price of R2,299 for the standalone device, or R3,499 including installation.

Nov 2020
The DStv Explora Ultra has a recommended retail price of R2,499 for the standalone device and R3,699 including installation.
Already dropped R200.

I'll wait until they launch DStv Explora Ultra2+ Extreme Max Edition.

R13...

Honorary Master
Yes, I did. It was very scant of any details about this whole venture.
Says this in the article you read:

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Says this in the article you read:

I was being sarcastic. Of I didn't read.

God, I miss Comic Sans.

Apogee

Does the explorer ultra have a gigabit ethernet port? Or is it 100mbps like most TV's and android boxes on the market?
Have seen this question a couple of times, and am trying to figure out how a Gigabit port is going to be of any advantage over a 100Mb/s one on a TV?

You can comfortably stream 4K HDR on a 100Mb/s connection.

It would make sense on an 8K set though, I suppose.

Last edited:

Slip

Something is wrong with the sound on these new explora’s. I have it connected to a Denon receiver via HDMI and the sound from the YouTube app only plays from the left front speaker. There is also a problem with audio on the SD channels.