DStv faces serious threats

I still think that as long as they have little to no competition in the sport broadcast rights department, they have nothing to be overly concerned about.

Hmm, don't know, I have just stopped watching sport.

No more Rugby. Cricket, F1, Dakar.

Enough stuff on the streaming services to keep me occupied.

Not an overwhelming amount of sport on at the moment.

Surely just a Covid enforced temporary hiatus though? From what I've seen, there's plenty. F1 and MotoGP are back in full swing, as is World SBK. Roland Garros has just started, Golf majors are on the go, Rainbow Cup, Pro 14 and Trans Tasman to keep the Rugby aficionados entertained. South Africa's upcoming tour of the West Indies looks to be going ahead, as is the looming Ashes series for thems that like their cricket. UEFA Champions League just completed and Euro 2020 (despite it being 2021) is starting soon.

Surely just a Covid enforced temporary hiatus though? From what I've seen, there's plenty. F1 and MotoGP are back in full swing, as is World SBK. Roland Garros has just started, Golf majors are on the go, Rainbow Cup, Pro 14 and Trans Tasman to keep the Rugby aficionados entertained. South Africa's upcoming tour of the West Indies looks to be going ahead, as is the looming Ashes series for thems that like their cricket. UEFA Champions League just completed and Euro 2020 (despite it being 2021) is starting soon.

And possibly the Olympics...

If DSTV just spent more time trying to be innovative and competitive, instead of wasting time playing victim all the time, they probably would be less 'under threat'.

Their CEO moaned on TV the last year or 2019 that Govt should consider filtering/blocking allowed internet media in the country because it would impact jobs at DSTV :ROFL:

I mean if thats what the CEO's best effort is, we nothing to fear about DSTV being around long...

I still think that as long as they have little to no competition in the sport broadcast rights department, they have nothing to be overly concerned about.
Well the thing is that sports is the only thing they have left. Everyone else is either leaving or downgrading. This creates the conundrum that they can no longer rely on the subsidies while those who want sport think they should have a cheaper sport only package. I see us moving to a different model in the future where it's no longer an all you can eat but pay per view like in other countries.

I was hoping that when the streaming service of dstv started that the price would be very cheap, what a disappointment, if hulu come, the streaming quality and bouquet will be impressive.

"DStv’s answer to streaming services encroaching on its territory is to offer Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube through its DStv Explora decoders. raise their prices."

There, I fixed the article.

fokkol will happen to dstv. there's a lot to be said to just switching on and watching tv. lots of people cant be arsed to worry about fibre/adsl for streaming. sorting out subscriptions. they just want to watch the telly.

if something goes tits up they scream at one person. not all the other service providers making up their streaming services. they don't need to sort out android tv boxes that have decided to just stop working. don't need to go look for that series download that just refuses to obey. scurry to re-subscribe to access the high seas. not to mention the support calls to the family idiot who was bold enough to set it up...

sit down. switch on. veg out.

sure in years to come as the traditionalists thin out they will suffer but i reckon there's more than enough people to keep them going in the meantime.

my mom is over 70. varied interests. she watches footy, loves the spiritual stuff, some soapies, a select genre of movies and for some odd reason the 'boere' programs on kyknet. she just sits down, surfs a bit and boom she locks on and is sorted. to cater for that with an alternate solution? no thank you. can afford the payment. i get dstv now with a bit of a backhand salute. all is well.

and in the alternate setup there's always a **** who keeps the show going while everyone else just switches on and enjoys the stuff. me, I'm that ****. lol...so I can appreciate the simplicity that dstv gives people...

Multichoice is only happy when there's Monochoice... Remember when we used to pay R100 per month for just one extra channel?

Most us here think DStv is "meh." And it really is, just spend a few weeks watching Premium. The repeats across multiple channels. The often trashy content. You soon start questioning your life choices.

Now we can choose between multiple (albeit inferior but cheaper) satellite networks. Online streaming services, particularly Netflix, have really opened up the market in terms of choice.

The only thing I miss having access to is sport, but each year without it I get less attached.

It is about time this monopoly ends. Repeating stuff year after year. #DSTV

Back