DStv Flex - is it what you've been waiting for?

Are you impressed by the planned DSTV Flex package?

• Yes - it's just what I've been waiting for

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • It needs tweaking before I'll subscribe

Votes: 40 16.8%
  • Unimpressed

Votes: 164 68.9%
  • Other

Votes: 15 6.3%

• Total voters

rvZA

Executive Member
Still too expensive. No thank you. Our sports are not worth R10 a month in any event.

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
With their sports still in 720p / 1080i resolution (and streaming being extremely compressed) I see absolutely no benefit in paying for DStv at all. It's 20fkn21 and they are still pushing 1080i whilst most of the world is starting to push 4k60. For interest sake, 1080i (BT-709) was standardised in 1992.... A 1992 resolution standard is still the best DStv can do in 2021.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
With their sports still in 720p / 1080i resolution (and streaming being extremely compressed) I see absolutely no benefit in paying for DStv at all. It's 20fkn21 and they are still pushing 1080i whilst most of the world is starting to push 4k60. For interest sake, 1080i (BT-709) was standardised in 1992.... A 1992 resolution standard is still the best DStv can do in 2021.
I do think that has to do with the bandwidth they have available though, or at least it used to. They rented a certain section on a satellite, to get access to the new satellite they need everyone to go quad LNB, but most have older installations and probably won't do so, so they'll not be able to upgrade.

Dstv also seems to have lost most of their older board, think they already saw what was coming and that they can't compete in the streaming space, most of streaming relies heavily on own content, and Dstv just sells HBO and Disney content, now that both of those are doing their own services, they no longer have anything to offer there; meanwhile most sports streaming is also stopping exclusivity since lots of governments etc. looking into that.

So their target market is those who can't get fiber, but at the same time mobile connections are finally starting to get a lot better, so that's going to be most of the market that can afford those higher costs, so Dstv will basically be AfricaMagic for townships or something.

Brian_G

Executive Member
I'm in the industry, there's some off the mark guesswork here.

I do think that has to do with the bandwidth they have available though, or at least it used to. They rented a certain section on a satellite, to get access to the new satellite they need everyone to go quad LNB, but most have older installations and probably won't do so, so they'll not be able to upgrade.
Nothing to do with satellite in this case, @BLIXEMPIE was talking about their streaming service options.

For satellite - there are very few services worldwide that go above 1080i via satellite, too expensive. And it has nothing to do with any quad LNB need, that's to allow for Hi Band services and not extra capacity per channel and was a long ago requirement since met basically by all (some with smart LNBs etc.)

BTW, they have a large ownership share in their newest southern African satellite, rental not involved.

Dstv also seems to have lost most of their older board, think they already saw what was coming and that they can't compete in the streaming space, most of streaming relies heavily on own content, and Dstv just sells HBO and Disney content, now that both of those are doing their own services, they no longer have anything to offer there; meanwhile most sports streaming is also stopping exclusivity since lots of governments etc. looking into that.
DStv offers a lot more than HBO / Disney, although yes that's a popular part of it.
Sports - not a problem yet for them. Local government are likely to be influenced by bribes anyway, so long to develop.

So their target market is those who can't get fiber, but at the same time mobile connections are finally starting to get a lot better, so that's going to be most of the market that can afford those higher costs, so Dstv will basically be AfricaMagic for townships or something.
More than half of their local market is the "townships" type. Premium is not doing well though, what they're focusing on now as it is a main income source for them and that is / can be influenced enough by online attractions.

Last edited: