DStv Flex - MultiChoice's plan for a configurable DStv Premium service

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Big changes planned for DStv Premium — including choosing your own channels

South African pay-TV broadcaster MultiChoice is testing a cheaper DStv Premium subscription which will unbundle its sports and premium movie channels from the rest of the package, TV journalist Thinus Ferreira has reported.

MultiChoice is currently gauging interest in a new DStv Flex option that will see subscribers paying a compulsory R299 per month for an Entertainment Pack, including 67 DStv Premium channels.

NR7

Lol

DStv-Flex_Thinus-Ferreira.jpg

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Soccer is R648. You can rather get Showmax Pro at R450 for 2 devices.

Cricket and rugby is R648. EXPENSIVE.

hellfire

Honorary Master
So . . . people have been asking this for years already and they said "No! We cannot do this! Are you crazy? GTFO here!"

Now suddenly its an option? What changed?
Netflix and Amazon Prime Video changed

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
I'm assuming that these fees still exclude the "PVR and catch up functionality" that you need to pay the access fee for? I mean, it's not like you already paid for the hardware. No, they'll just hit you with R65 every month until you cancel for the right of ujsing the device that you bought. It's pure profit for them.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Big changes planned for DStv Premium — including choosing your own channels

South African pay-TV broadcaster MultiChoice is testing a cheaper DStv Premium subscription which will unbundle its sports and premium movie channels from the rest of the package, TV journalist Thinus Ferreira has reported.

MultiChoice is currently gauging interest in a new DStv Flex option that will see subscribers paying a compulsory R299 per month for an Entertainment Pack, including 67 DStv Premium channels.
1631712220173.png

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

So the only thing people asked for was not to have that.

The pricing is not too bad, just don't make Entertainment compulsory.

Adhvik

a carrot dangling for the ex premium customers that have since left and to maximise profits as the compact packages not generating revenue to make up the void left by the ex premium customers.

cavedog

Honorary Master
It's great for people that don't want sport, but want decent programming.
I'd consider R299 for their sportsless options except that I don't think I could go back to adverts

The R299 excludes 2 decent channels. Mnet Movies 1 and 2. You pay extra R99 for it. That brings the total up to R398 for all entertainment. Not sure exactly what else is excluded because I don't see it on the DSTV website to compare with. It's expensive compared to streaming.

You can get Netflix UHD @ R169 + Showmax R99 per month + Amazon prime R90 for R358.

It's difficult to accurately compare content though so it depends on what you watch really and whether streaming/viewing it with ads or no ads.

Also does DSTV flex work on decoders and dstv streaming or is it just streaming? If it includes everything then using it on a smart tv to watch catchup might be a good deal actually.