DStv looking at letting subscribers pick their own channels

Neoprod

Honorary Master
201 through 208 come as a package and costs R800.00pm...you heard it hear first.

/hopes to be wrong

saor

Honorary Master
She said it was a challenge for the company to work out if consumers will end up paying more if they select their own channels, though.
You provide the service - figure it out already.

If this was the case, “people may be unhappy” as they could pay more for three channels than they would for 100 channels.

“The fact of the matter is people are asking the questions and somehow we have to find a way to give people what they want,” said Phahle.
Just a reminder that people want three channels because it's cheaper. They don't want three channels because they like the number three. If it's not cheaper it's a pointless exercise.

Vegeta

Executive Member
Too little too late. The fact that they're still looking shows their contempt.

Pitbull

Verboten
Too little too late.

This would have made me stay with DSTV about 8 years ago.

Batista

Executive Member
They were forced to do this a few years back but got out of it legally.Now they are crapping their pants.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
R200 a month for Supersport, streamed to any device and they will have 99% of South Africans with internet connections.
unfortunately it will not be that simple.

it will be at least R600 a month and you will be forecd to take some mindless channel that no one ever watches.
and if you choose this package you will not be able to steam the channels you choose at all.

too little too late.
I stream my sport though a free service. what incentive is there for me to pay for DSTV? none. monochoise can go play wiht the board of the SABC and the pipe dreams they have there.

Lupus

Honorary Master
If I could remove sport, would that be a saving? I don't watch any of it and that's supposed to be making my package more expensive, also all those pointless music channels?

rietrot

Honorary Master
R200 a month for Supersport, streamed to any device and they will have 99% of South Africans with internet connections.
It's a big mindset change for them to realise they can get more profit by charging more customers less as opposed to more profit form charging less customers more.

Corporates very slow to adapt to change. I will believe it when I see it.

access

Executive Member
stop looking and start doing. you must start somewhere.

MyBroadband surveys into entertainment preferences have shown that multiple subscribers want the option to pick a SuperSport-only package, for example.

But MultiChoice said the view that fewer channels would be cheaper is incorrect.
so assume all subs that currently have access to supersport(or all subs for that matter) would take a supersport-only package, does it equate to more than R800/month?

these guys must make a fton from advertising all the time in top games, they should get creative...

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I have a sneaky suspicion that almost all the channels, except for sport and movies, are basically free to air.

So that means if you want movies and sport R750 and all channels R799, or everything but movies and sport: R50.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I have a sneaky suspicion that almost all the channels, except for sport and movies, are basically free to air.

So that means if you want movies and sport R750 and all channels R799, or everything but movies and sport: R50.
Sounds about right.