DSTV Now on Smart TV - Options?

Just_Ice

Executive Member
So I have a Hisense 55M6000 TV, and have up until recently been watching DSTV on my laptop or iPhone as and when needed.

I noticed recently that I can Chromecast/Mirror YouTube videos from my phone onto the TV with no problems, however I cant do the same with the DSTV Now app. There is also no DSTV Now App available for the tv, and streaming DSTV on the TV browser doesn't work.

Other than using an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV, what is the best way to stream/cast/mirror DSTV on my TV?

PDF_27

DStv blocks mirroring for copyright reasons... What you can buy is either a Chromecast device or an Android TV box. I would recommend the Xaomi Mibox or the Telkom lit box. Both are google certified and have google Chromecast built in. So you can cast to it or simply download the app on the box directly from the playstore. The box has many uses. I own both boxes and there's not a thing I cannot watch.

chefdude98

So I have a Hisense 55M6000 TV, and have up until recently been watching DSTV on my laptop or iPhone as and when needed.

I noticed recently that I can Chromecast/Mirror YouTube videos from my phone onto the TV with no problems, however I cant do the same with the DSTV Now app. There is also no DSTV Now App available for the tv, and streaming DSTV on the TV browser doesn't work.

Other than using an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV, what is the best way to stream/cast/mirror DSTV on my TV?
Buy the Mi Box from Takealot.It is worth it.Xiaomi issues updates and warranty claims from Takealot are relatively stress free.
https://www.takealot.com/xiaomi-mi-tv-box-black/PLID51730445

Michaelmw

Expert Member
Any major differences between the Telkom Lit box and the Mi Box?
Lit has an Ethernet port but still cannot properly support Netflix AFAIK unless that’s been resolved.

Mi Box is on Android 8, no Ethernet without a USB dongle if that’s needed and properly supports all the apps, it’s hands down a winner for the price by miles.

4ftersh0ck

That's strange. I am using a Chromecast with DSTV now and it is working perfectly. Have you gone into your 'Home' app to ensure the Chromecast is enabled. Then, when you go into DSTV now you have to select the icon in the top right to specify which device you want to cast to before you start browsing content. Hope this helps

Just_Ice

Executive Member
That's strange. I am using a Chromecast with DSTV now and it is working perfectly. Have you gone into your 'Home' app to ensure the Chromecast is enabled. Then, when you go into DSTV now you have to select the icon in the top right to specify which device you want to cast to before you start browsing content. Hope this helps
I don’t have a physical chrome cast, and I’m not sure if the tv has chrome cast built it. The only app that seems to cast/mirror perfectly to the tv at the moment is YouTube

4ftersh0ck

I don’t have a physical chrome cast, and I’m not sure if the tv has chrome cast built it. The only app that seems to cast/mirror perfectly to the tv at the moment is YouTube
Oh, in your original post you said " I noticed recently that I can Chromecast/Mirror YouTube videos from my phone onto the TV with no problems" so I assumed you had a Chromecast.

I have a Samsung Smart TV and there is no DSTV Now app so I don't think there will be a Hisense app any time too soon either. Good luck finding a solution. The hdmi cable from the laptop is probably the quickest/easiest solution for now.

Sumen

Expert Member
It Doesn't have Chromecast, Hisense TV's have Anyview cast

maumau

Honorary Master
Lit has an Ethernet port but still cannot properly support Netflix AFAIK unless that’s been resolved.

Mi Box is on Android 8, no Ethernet without a USB dongle if that’s needed and properly supports all the apps, it’s hands down a winner for the price by miles.
USB to Ethernet adapter?

Ashie S

I have the dstv now app on my Samsung phone and can cast it directly from the phone to my Samsung smart tv using the smartview app which comes with the phone.

DSTV now has just been added on my 2016 Tizen TV. Yeaaah. No need for Media Boxes for me. I was actually in the market looking for one.