DStv to get two new M-net channels

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Unless they're netflix and hulu I couldn't care less.

Ebo

ok, here is a theory - How can Multichoice launch 2 new channels with all the hype and good publicity but then take 2 channels off the bouquet ? That is not adding 2 channels, but changing them !

ajan

ever-popular M-Net channel 101, renowned for its blockbuster, fresh content from around the globe.
Wait what? Fresh content? Most of the stuff shown there is always 2-3 months old.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Wait what? Fresh content? Most of the stuff shown there is always 2-3 months old.
There's actually a good reason for this; US TV has numerous mid- and other season breaks, and international TV (DSTV included) likes to run their series more on unbroken runs, so they have to start a bit later so they end at roughly the same time - as the series progresses the air time usually becomes closer to the US air time. You'll notice that content from HBO, Showtime, etc starts closer to the US start because they're less susceptible to those breaks. It's not good or bad, just how they roll.

ajan

There's actually a good reason for this; US TV has numerous mid- and other season breaks, and international TV (DSTV included) likes to run their series more on unbroken runs, so they have to start a bit later so they end at roughly the same time - as the series progresses the air time usually becomes closer to the US air time. You'll notice that content from HBO, Showtime, etc starts closer to the US start because they're less susceptible to those breaks. It's not good or bad, just how they roll.
Back in Lost and Prison break days (2008 I think), they were around 2 seasons behind. They still had breaks for it. Anyway, 2008 was the year I stopped watching off DSTv. I could be wrong now - given the current criticism from the majority of people, I doubt it.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Back in Lost and Prison break days (2008 I think), they were around 2 seasons behind. They still had breaks for it. Anyway, 2008 was the year I stopped watching off DSTv. I could be wrong now - given the current criticism from the majority of people, I doubt it.
Oh yeah, they've improved a LOT since then - syndication generally has worldwide - UK pioneered the releasing of DVD series just days after the TV run ended, so the market had to adapt; DSTV actually has stuff starting just hours after the US air time, and plenty airing a few days later (unavoidable, because if it's shown in a US prime slot, DSTV wants to show it in a prime slot too, so has to wait for the right day, it can't go back in time 7 hours to show it in the same time slot).

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
I love how the moaners don't have dstv yet still complain. DSTV has gotten better with TV series now, often the prime series are aired hours after the US, yes some series are a few months behind but honestly I prefer that. Cause with mid season breaks recording is difficult.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Im on a month to month with DSTV, and have been since day one. Never heard of a contract with them.

As far as I'm aware you can sign a 12 month contract with then and get the 12th month free

Drifter

Honorary Master
As far as I'm aware you can sign a 12 month contract with then and get the 12th month free
Only get the 12 momnth free if you pay for the year in advance.

I see they are replacing reality channel. Not losing sleep over that one.