DVB-T2 switch-on scheduled for June 2011

hmmm, dvb noob here, how is this different than the other channels i could already pick up with my dvb-t tuner?

Isnt Some of the Sony/Samsung Sets have the digital tuner nice if we could use it

Why is it that it seems we will have such a limited amount of channels on our DTT? When I was in the UK my friend had DTT free to air and they had a sh*t load of channels there on DTT. Mostly the biggest load of crap....but still...it was a lot more than 10! Is it some kind of tech limitation that Sentech has or is it just that there is not so many companies willing to provide content for our DTT?

i also have a dvb-t receiver, i ponder if i should pay my tv license

Oh yippie.. 10 SABC channels..... colour me not-bloody-impressed on this one actually.

Why is it that it seems we will have such a limited amount of channels on our DTT? When I was in the UK my friend had DTT free to air and they had a sh*t load of channels there on DTT. Mostly the biggest load of crap....but still...it was a lot more than 10! Is it some kind of tech limitation that Sentech has or is it just that there is not so many companies willing to provide content for our DTT?

My guess would be that the they want to open the 700Mhz airwaves for other purposes. Having digital you would probably have a very fixed frequency range (not currently what I see with VHF/UHF) but by increasing the channels too much will mean more carriers will be required again taking away bandwidth for other purposes. There was a push for cellular deployment in 700Mhz (similar to US) but as far as I know this was unsuccessful.

I can actually pick up the digital feed with my Sony Bravia, I can see the EPG info and everything - however the video/audio feed is encrypted.

My guess would be that the they want to open the 700Mhz airwaves for other purposes. Having digital you would probably have a very fixed frequency range (not currently what I see with VHF/UHF) but by increasing the channels too much will mean more carriers will be required again taking away bandwidth for other purposes. There was a push for cellular deployment in 700Mhz (similar to US) but as far as I know this was unsuccessful.

oh ok. So the bulk will go to the Digital Dividend for the MNO's I guess. Cool

I was under the impression though that DTT will open up a market for networks like E-TV and Mnet to offer paid for services over terestrial.

I guess this means we all gonna have to go out and buy a new TV with the new standard tuner. Good thing, I will be on the market in the later part of this year.

Will stuff like that have an effect on dstv users?
I cant see how it would because that signal is already digital isnt it?
Surely its only related to SABC viewers?

Will stuff like that have an effect on dstv users?
I cant see how it would because that signal is already digital isnt it?
Surely its only related to SABC viewers?

No it wont. DSTV uses satelite that operates on a totally different spectrum. This is Digital Terestrial. Uses towers to distribute the signal to your antenna on the roof.

Wow rest of the 1st world switched off or are in process of turning off analog signals and we only getting DVB-T2 in June...

Talk about snails pace.

If they are planning to have 100% population coverage by 2013, why are they installing new analogue transmitters in rural areas, 2 years before the analogue switch-off?

10 SABC channels? Wow. And here I thought they needed R460million just to keep the existing 3 channels from going bankrupt.

Oh yippie.. 10 SABC channels..... colour me not-bloody-impressed on this one actually.

They suck at the 3 they have so don't they need less channels. And didn't they complain that their losing money? :wtf:

Back