E-tags may become compulsory

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Doh! Only moved to Gauteng two weeks ago from the Free State. Completely ignorant of nearly all laws surrounding e-tolls. I have some serious reading to do.
Oh, so you weren't asking about these possibly suggested new compulsory e-tag laws...

Well the laws states you must pay to use a toll road, the classic toll roads have a barrier that forces you to pay to proceed, so not possible to break that law (some motorcyclists possibly do). These ones have no barrier and many aren't paying, civil disobedience protest or just laziness, both have the same affect though.

Fireball

Oh, so you weren't asking about these possibly suggested new compulsory e-tag laws...

Well the laws states you must pay to use a toll road, the classic toll roads have a barrier that forces you to pay to proceed, so not possible to break that law (some motorcyclists possibly do). These ones have no barrier and many aren't paying, civil disobedience protest or just laziness, both have the same affect though.
Cool, thanks. I am familiar with what you just said. E-tolls have been in the news since its inception, so at least I have that going for me.
I have also been lurking on MyBroadband for a few years (also read the daily newsletter), so I'm semi-clued up.

Now I'm going to cease hijacking this thread and do some digging in the forums to find out more

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Even if they do make it compulsory - what makes them think that'll make a difference? Stats on paying traffic fine is like 16% so I don't see many paying etolls even if they have tags.

Not that this is ever going to happen. Even the original approach was going to be challenged in court on the first attempt to enforce it so I don't see compulsory going down better.

krycor

Honorary Master
I have renewed the license disc and also did a change of ownership with unpaid tolls.
This is another reason why I'd never buy a 2nd hand vehicle in Jhb. Too many living in denial about their eToll bill but one day when they collect I'm gonna sit back and watch the havoc

kianm

Honorary Master
This is another reason why I'd never buy a 2nd hand vehicle in Jhb. Too many living in denial about their eToll bill but one day when they collect I'm gonna sit back and watch the havoc
Are you usually a coward?

kianm

Honorary Master
He's free to do as he chooses. Doesn't make him a coward.
Doesn't give him the right to declare others are in denial either. It's their choice. He must just keep quiet rather. Judge and you shall be judged

krycor

Honorary Master
Doesn't give him the right to declare others are in denial either. It's their choice. He must just keep quiet rather. Judge and you shall be judged
In the end I chose not to pay but to do so legally. Failure to pay outstanding debt when selling vehicle I think will become a contentious issue in the coming years if the eToll keeps going.

At the end of the day you not paying for something that you are meant to which makes you no better than the guys ripping off power for street lights .. You really are absolutely no better.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
At the end of the day you not paying for something that you are meant to which makes you no better than the guys ripping off power for street lights .. You really are absolutely no better.
What absolute bull****.
We have paid for those roads. We aren't paying for the tolling system that costs more than the road upgrade. Which itself cost 4x what it should have.

alkit

In the end I chose not to pay but to do so legally. Failure to pay outstanding debt when selling vehicle I think will become a contentious issue in the coming years if the eToll keeps going.

We don't disagree that the roads need to be paid for. We disagree with the corrupt, unethical and uneconomical way that the ANC has elected to collect that money

kianm

Honorary Master
In the end I chose not to pay but to do so legally.
Let me put it to you this way, there is no legal in breaking the law.

We have paid for these roads and are still paying& you know it. What's wrong with the fuel levy anyway? You are no better than the cANCer and the people who put this injust system in place.

Last edited:

Bismuth

Expert Member
If am forced to get an etag, or dealers are forced to add them to vehicles, I will also the Microwave Activation Method. However, just having one on my windscreen (active or otherwise) will annoy me somewhat (unless it's one of the red ones, still want to get one of those! :D ).

B

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
If am forced to get an etag, or dealers are forced to add them to vehicles, I will also the Microwave Activation Method. However, just having one on my windscreen (active or otherwise) will annoy me somewhat (unless it's one of the red ones, still want to get one of those! :D ).

B
If Dealers in JHB are forced to add eTags to their cars, watch how many people start buying vehicles from out of province... Dealers will even set up mechanisms to sell the vehicle "out of province"

Bismuth

Expert Member
If Dealers in JHB are forced to add eTags to their cars, watch how many people start buying vehicles from out of province... Dealers will even set up mechanisms to sell the vehicle "out of province"
Indeed, don't have to travel THAT far to buy a vehicle "out of province" actually. They really are grasping at straws here. I do not care if they cap it at R10, I still won't get one of those blasted things. WHEN will they get that message. I successfully renewed my car licence last year with a few thousand rand of Etoll bills, will do the same this year with an even larger Etoll bill.

B