E-tolls under constant hack attack: report

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Constant attack?

Must be a bunch of rank amateurs then if the stuff is still running.

Tux

Software Communist
Ah. I see they share an "IT" dept with CoJ

Baxteen

Honorary Master
I wonder if little bobby tables has registered an Etag yet....

Tux

Software Communist
I keep reading that guy's name as Jamie Suurkont :whistling: :eek:

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Lol, it's probably just the amount of users logging onto the website at any one given time and the website probably cannot handle it. they probably trying to claim it as a DDOS attack :D

Sodan

Expert Member
Most probably a fake claim to garner sympathy.

Maybe they're asking for a real hack attack :whistling:

Executive Member
Well, I'd expect hacking attempts to be common on their system. Some want to disrupt the system, but mostly those trying to hack the system are after the huge amount of information that their system has access too. It's a real gold mine of personal and company data.

system32

Expert Member
ETC CEO, Jamie Surkont, said that the biggest challenges faced by the company have come from its reliance on other systems – such as the eNatis system for unregistered and untagged motorists – as well as a general stance of hostility towards the system.
These comments show how naive Scamral is/was:
a) Scamral thinks people would not be hostile to an unjust tax!
b) Scamral had 2 years to ensure that external systems (eNatis) were updated.
c) Scamral based collection on a requirement to registered (with unjust T&C) and tagged users

Based on these assumptions, eTolls have a high probability of failing.

creeper

Executive Member
I thought about it a bit, and then realised. It might be under constant hacker attack. Why? Because the data stored by ETC / VPC / SANRAL is data of SA citizens. And that data has a value in the black market. Imagine it. If you can get vehicle / address / id information of any citizen of South Africa, imagine what devious / criminal things can be done with it.

It scares the hell out of me. :crying:

Messugga

Honorary Master
I thought about it a bit, and then realised. It might be under constant hacker attack. Why? Because the data stored by ETC / VPC / SANRAL is data of SA citizens. And that data has a value in the black market. Imagine it. If you can get vehicle / address / id information of any citizen of South Africa, imagine what devious / criminal things can be done with it.

It scares the hell out of me. :crying:

Yep, there's a hell of a lot of personal information on there, having looked at a colleague who registered's account.

Creag

The Boar's Rock

scares the hell out of me. :crying:

I need no further reason than this to be a part of their database. Eventually the hacking and or hackers will succeed in taking it down and or pilfering the data. I don't want my details to among that taken.

With the POPI Act, if personal info is taken and they knew they were under constant attack, will persons who data is stolen have recourse against these varmints?

Madhawk

Honorary Master
So many smart geeks in SA, yet no one has been able to bring the whole system down.

Highly disappointed...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
So many smart geeks in SA, yet no one has been able to bring the whole system down.

Highly disappointed...

Remember the backbone of it is probably maintained by the European company.... and I bet they don't mess around.

cfilorux

Refutation missing

To refute:
However, he refuted that the system will collapse and requires 85% compliance to operate, as stated by Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa), saying that the system would simply be more efficient at those rates.
To refute usually means to comprehensively demonstrate that a statement is false. In this case, I believe the word you were searching for is denied.

Last edited: