Easy Equities good or bad?

Dylan_G

Expert Member
I lost a small amount on SA property, and sold it at the all-time low. No regrets - the money I got back went to an ETF that grew enough to recover the loss.

But I can’t help wondering if it'll turn out differently if I buy back in now.

I still have mine. Stopped contributing to it long ago. Holding the initial amount because I don't want to take the loss. Also, I guess it adds to "diversification"?

CSPROP:-48%
ASHEQF:+21%
SYGWD:+38%

Reactions: 3WA

Ziadhorat

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this question or not, but does anyone know why some stocks aren't on EE, for example - GME.

humbledryer

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this question or not, but does anyone know why some stocks aren't on EE, for example - GME.
I don't know the reason why but you can use the form on this page to request stocks:

Only one of the stocks I've requested has been made available. They might need to see demand before adding.
I requested ARKG which was recently added.

Ziadhorat

They only bring in a few US stocks, not the full set. You can ask them to bring in GME.
Okay, thank you.
I don't know the reason why but you can use the form on this page to request stocks:

Only one of the stocks I've requested has been made available. They might need to see demand before adding.
I requested ARKG which was recently added.
The link is super useful, lets hope it plays out in my favor!

Quicks

Expert Member
I have R10K and want to invest it "Try it out" I have not done something like this before. What would you guys recommend? I see there is a option for offshore account, that works in $ do you guys invest locally in Rand or offshore in Dollars $?

Which stocks are you guys buying at the moment, or any words of wisdom that you would like to share with a beginner?

Swa

Honorary Master
I have R10K and want to invest it "Try it out" I have not done something like this before. What would you guys recommend? I see there is a option for offshore account, that works in $ do you guys invest locally in Rand or offshore in Dollars $?

Which stocks are you guys buying at the moment, or any words of wisdom that you would like to share with a beginner?
Go for a good local ETF that holds offshore.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member

EE has options for USD, AUD and ZAR accounts. But if you just want to try, use the ZAR account and have a look at the ETF that track something overseas like the sp500.

Edit, EE also has demo accounts where they give a fake $10 000 or R100 000 to try invest with. It mimic the cost and returns of the actual stock market.

Speedster

Honorary Master

If i had to pick one I'd go with Satrix MSCI World

Dylan_G

Expert Member

Not sure what you background is but perhaps the more responsible answer is a question...

What exactly are you wanting to achieve with you R10k?

Are you looking to some light "trading" using EE?
Are you looking to start building up retirement savings?
Do you have an RA or a TFSA?
Do you need the money/profit back in cash in X days/weeks/months/years/decades?

There are many many ETFs/Shares you can buy on EE but it all depends on what you're trying to do.

Quicks

Expert Member
So buying in
Not sure what you background is but perhaps the more responsible answer is a question...

What exactly are you wanting to achieve with you R10k?
Something like this article: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/busi...ned-r10000-into-r2-9-million-in-10-years.html
Are you looking to some light "trading" using EE?
Testing and see how it works, knowledge is power. Will put more money towards it when I am more confident in the inner workings. How it works with SARS and what fees is payable and when.
Are you looking to start building up retirement savings?
Yes
Do you have an RA or a TFSA?
Yes, company provident fund and have the TymeBank Goalsave account
Do you need the money/profit back in cash in X days/weeks/months/years/decades?
10 - 20 years
There are many many ETFs/Shares you can buy on EE but it all depends on what you're trying to do.
Maximum profit.

sandwitch

I have R10K and want to invest it "Try it out" I have not sone this before. I see there is a option for offshore account, that works in $ do you guys invest locally in Rand or offshore in Dollars $?
Edit, EE also has demo accounts where they give a fake $10 000 or R100 000 to try invest with. It mimic the cost and returns of the actual stock market.
Warning: don't use the demo accounts if you can't invest the amounts you can play with. It physically hurts that you can't, and don't, get the same payday. And then you just end up spending days staring at the Easy Equities portal wondering about the people who float around with $10000 in their pocket.

humbledryer

Warning: don't use the demo accounts if you can't invest the amounts you can play with. It physically hurts that you can't, and don't, get the same payday. And then you just end up spending days staring at the Easy Equities portal wondering about the people who float around with $10000 in their pocket.
Can confirm. I put my full $10,000 into Tesla and it has done much better than my TFSA

rietrot

Honorary Master
10 - 20 years

Maximum profit.

Maximum profit isn't a realistic goal for anyone who is new or for like for 99% of people.

There's different styles of investing/trading. And for max profit you'll probably need to do plenty of research and follow some kind of active trading strategy.

To just learn how everything works get
R8k satrix msci world
And if interested in individual share get 2 that you like for the rest.
But just a etf that covers everything is best.

humbledryer

r/wallstreetbets meme stock.
It has been very easy to make money in the past year. I've bought a bunch of hyped stocks (NIO, XPENG, LMND etc.), and sold them when they reached over 100%, and they've mostly still gone up a lot after that. I can't say that I've really done my due diligence or have major conviction.

Reactions: 3WA

3WA

Executive Member
It has been very easy to make money in the past year. I've bought a bunch of hyped stocks (NIO, XPENG, LMND etc.), and sold them when they reached over 100%, and they've mostly still gone up a lot after that. I can't say that I've really done my due diligence or have major conviction.

Gotta have a budget for gambling on meme stocks.