Easy Equities good or bad?

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I am a small time EE trader. I hardly put 1K per month but have put 5K once or twice. My mistake is I relied on mybb expertise and as a result I am always in the negative. :cool:

Thanks guys. You know who you are. LOL.
Not sure if you're joking about always being in the negative but if that's the case look into value investing (if your not already familiar with it.) There's a lot of good info on Investopedia and You Tube to get you started. Investopedia has this series of articles on valuing companies which covers a lot of details.

I'm playing with similar amounts to you and a value investing approach has served me pretty well. On the occasions where I've made a bad life choice it's been when I've made a snap or emotional decision without doing my homework.

EE is the perfect platform for the small time value investor IMHO. I don't know much about other investing startegies but do believe that everyone wanting to buy and sell share should be aware of value investing, even if they decide to use some other strategy. It gives a shift in mindset over how many people perceive the stock market and its associated risks and can help make better buying and selling decisions and avoid common pitfalls.

surface

Honorary Master
Not sure if you're joking about always being in the negative but if that's the case look into value investing (if your not already familiar with it.) There's a lot of good info on Investopedia and You Tube to get you started. Investopedia has this series of articles on valuing companies which covers a lot of details.

I'm playing with similar amounts to you and a value investing approach has served me pretty well. On the occasions where I've made a bad life choice it's been when I've made a snap or emotional decision without doing my homework.

EE is the perfect platform for the small time value investor IMHO. I don't know much about other investing startegies but do believe that everyone wanting to buy and sell share should be aware of value investing, even if they decide to use some other strategy. It gives a shift in mindset over how many people perceive the stock market and its associated risks and can help make better buying and selling decisions and avoid common pitfalls.
Thanks, will have a look.

I am not joking. It looks like I went and picked up the worst of the lot or I bought them when high or both.

All negative for me as of now.

satrix msci china
satrix property
satrix s&p 500
sygnia emerging markets 50
sygnia solactive
rmh
jubilee
nampak
Coreshares property income

Tinuva

The Magician

I am not joking. It looks like I went and picked up the worst of the lot or I bought them when high or both.

satrix msci china
satrix property
satrix s&p 500
sygnia solactive
rmh
jubilee
nampak
Ah thanks for reminding I need to go buy more. Just did.

Still at an all time green on my TFSA at least.

warwickw

Expert Member
Honestly 2FA is overhyped. If a site isn't secure enough to protect a 24 character alpha numeric string it won't be secure enough to protect a 6 character number that can be guessed in a few seconds. The major problem with 2FA is that it's a hit and miss to recover so I only use it where forced and where I can easily reset it in case it gets lost.

I think you misunderstand where 2FA is positioned, it ensures besides knowing a password you have to have a second form of authentication ie the device/app that is linked to the account. This gives peace of mind that if your password is compromised your account is still secure.

surface

Honorary Master
Honestly 2FA is overhyped. If a site isn't secure enough to protect a 24 character alpha numeric string it won't be secure enough to protect a 6 character number that can be guessed in a few seconds. The major problem with 2FA is that it's a hit and miss to recover so I only use it where forced and where I can easily reset it in case it gets lost.
Protect a 6 character number? I don't think you understand 2FA.

Not sure what is your definition of hit & miss but I have not found any issues with 2FA on coronation, 10x, fnb etc.. Occasionally, there is a issue (like once a month) but it gets sorted out once you try again in 5 minutes.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
So - recently (Nov/Dec) - somehow my internet banking details got out - if it wasn't for 2FA I'd be in a heap of ****.

No one (bank included) knows how they got out, both username and password are unique to them. I don't use public PCs/networks - in fact - I only log-on from my laptop.

surface

Honorary Master
So - recently (Nov/Dec) - somehow my internet banking details got out - if it wasn't for 2FA I'd be in a heap of ****.

No one (bank included) knows how they got out, both username and password are unique to them. I don't use public PCs/networks - in fact - I only log-on from my laptop.
Spouse is always the prime suspect in murder. #justsaying :ROFL: :ROFL:

mr_norris

Expert Member
satrix msci china
Satrix MSCI China bag holder checking in!

My portfolio is a mixed bag. US account has taken the biggest knock. Just riding it out because I've made dumb emotional sell decisions before and I think I've lost more doing that. Sometimes I do sell at a big loss and then buy back to offset any money making sells (I am not sure if this works well, but I do it). Overall I am up about 17% though, but it still hurts when I see that red.

My biggest bags at the moment:

* Satrix Global Aggregate bond (-10%)
* Satrix MCSI China (-3%, but it's probably way more because I panic sold at the bottom and bought back)
* Sygnia Solactive Healthcare 150 (-4.72%)
* Satrix Prop (-37%)
* Editas Medicine (-48%)
* iShares Global Clean Energy (-39%)

InvisibleJim

Expert Member

satrix msci china
satrix property
satrix s&p 500
sygnia solactive
rmh
jubilee
nampak
If it's any consolation, I just wrote off the Nampak shares I bought for R20 in 2016 - I was looking at Barloworld and Nampak for the R1k for that month. My head said that Barloworld was looking better but I made a kind of emotional swing towards Nampak because I had a friend who worked at Nampak and always spoke well of the company.

Barlworld went from something like R60 to R120 in 6 months. Nampak really just went downhill.

So School Fees! At least it was small amount to lose!

mr_norris

Expert Member
My head said that Barloworld was looking better but I made a kind of emotional swing towards Nampak because I had a friend who worked at Nampak and always spoke well of the company.
Similar experience but only lost out on money, rather than losing money.

When Sasol tanked to R20 in March 2020,I started a thread about buying their shares for cheap. Lots of negative vibes so I passed. Sasol later shot back up. I might have not got a couple of grand out of it, but I got my best performing thread - and that is priceless.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

They don’t secure the number at all.

The entire point is that it’s a second layer should the password be compromised and usually involved a second device making it less likely to be compromised.

It’s just further risk mitigation.

Even better would be supporting something like TouchID or a Yubikey as a 2FA mechanism.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
I saw a personal offer on Jasco shares. It was listed at 35c each for existing shareholders. I replied that I am in. I see a new Jasco section, but shares are listed as R1 (at the buy section).

Did anyone else opted in saying yes (they are interested)?

fiddle_sticks

I've been using easy equities since 2016 when I opened a TFSA with them, so far so good. I've read a lot about how EE is great for small time investors with its fees being so low etc.

What's the argument for not using them for larger sums of money, like R 5-10 million. If you are investing with a few trades per year to balance a portfolio why would you go to someone like PSG wealth or Rand Swiss over EE?

rietrot

Honorary Master
I've been using easy equities since 2016 when I opened a TFSA with them, so far so good. I've read a lot about how EE is great for small time investors with its fees being so low etc.

What's the argument for not using them for larger sums of money, like R 5-10 million. If you are investing with a few trades per year to balance a portfolio why would you go to someone like PSG wealth or Rand Swiss over EE?
I think if you do more than R10k? Per transaction the fees in a trading account at one of the banks becomes cheaper, because it is capped.

Also you get more functionality.

(Haven't checked the fees in a long time, don't know what the exact amount is.)

Swa

Honorary Master
I think you misunderstand where 2FA is positioned, it ensures besides knowing a password you have to have a second form of authentication ie the device/app that is linked to the account. This gives peace of mind that if your password is compromised your account is still secure.
I know where it's positioned. The point is that a password so complex that you don't even know it doesn't need 2FA that is less complex. If my password can be guessed then so can the 2FA. That is a site design issue so 2FA won't protect you there.

Protect a 6 character number? I don't think you understand 2FA.

Not sure what is your definition of hit & miss but I have not found any issues with 2FA on coronation, 10x, fnb etc.. Occasionally, there is a issue (like once a month) but it gets sorted out once you try again in 5 minutes.
Most 2FA I had to enter is 6 numbers so if they can crack my password they'll crack the 2FA in no time.

And I'm not talking about temporary glitches but in cases like where you lose your device or it dies or something. If you use 2FA you have to compromise it in order to stay secure or you risk losing access. The track record for 2FA recovery is abysmal. If you have it on 20 sites and you lose it you have to accept that on a best case scenario you won't regain access to at least 6 of them.