Easy meal plans

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I'm also a major fan of Couscous.

Can make it the same in the Microwave.
Add Couscous, some salt or seasoning.
Add boiling water to about 1/4 of Couscous. Set to 3-4 Minutes at max.
Take fork and whisk it around, if its fluffy it's cooked.

Make some Mince or add Bacon bits to it. Mix with a nice sauce. Possibly a cheese or mushroom sauce.

It's a just a small form of Pasta. Cheap to buy. Quick to prepare. Great tasting.

Edit: I prefer never using oil or butter in my frying pan. Since it's non stick it's not needed. The moisture from meat, veggies etc. is enough to cook.
Cook at low heat. Fry at high heat. Very easy. You don't need oil. Sauces are cool, based per meal.

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What are some easy meals to prepare for single person living alone with limited cooking skills?
Pastas - spaghetti bolognese, carbonara, even a really easy cacio e pepe (cheese and pepper)
Stir fry
Burgers
Pizza

We have a Milex pressure cooker. It is the nicest way to do casseroles. I am slowly learning to use it. Make enough one time around and it can last you several meals.
I got a Russel Hobbs one a couple months ago and my slow cooker is feeling really neglected. Perfect for stews and casseroles. I cook my pork belly in it and then transfer it to the oven to crisp up.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I must be the only person who got a pressure cooker but prefer the slow cooker over it. :X3:
So far I haven't found a slow cooker recipe of mine that hasn't worked as well in the pressure cooker. I have't tried my baked bean yet though.

What are you cooking in it that hasn't worked as well.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Check your local community for places that make Mon - Fri meals
Ex, here's our local in Gordons Bay
1618756561407.png

1618756499821.png

1618756586696.png

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So far I haven't found a slow cooker recipe of mine that hasn't worked as well in the pressure cooker. I have't tried my baked bean yet though.

What are you cooking in it that hasn't worked as well.
It's not that it doesn't work well, I just prefer the slow cooker :p

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The most versatile ingredients for noobs are eggs, mince, pasta, cheese, milk, tuna and potatoes.

acidrain

Executive Member
If you in CPT southern suburbs, check out frozen for you at Constantia Emporium. Got a butter chicken for 2 for R148. First time though so can't say if it's any good but the pricing is not bad.

Otherwise having an air fryer makes life very easy.

Gozado

Herbs and spices are cheaper than "herb mixes" and "spice mixes" such as Barbecue Spice Mix, or Pizza Herb Mix, and those again are cheaper than ready-made sauces.

Here's a way to teach yourself how to use herbs and spices.
Purists will say that only fresh herbs will do, but don't let yourself be intimidated by that, as dried herbs have their place in the world, and also improve the taste. By all means, if you're into gardening, even on the window-sill, grow your own.

First, if you know any of them, get one pack of each.
Standards include: parsely, sage, rosemary and thyme (yeah), also marjoram, oregano and bay-leaf.
Then also get one pack of one that you don't yet know.
  • Cook something basic that you've already cooked before, and know how you think it's supposed to taste. While cooking (as a general but not immutable rule, the earlier the better in the cooking process) add some of that new herb you don't know. As a guideline of the quantity, to start with: about as much as you would add salt and pepper, plus a bit more.
  • Note how it changes the smell of the cooking, and then the taste of the dish. Did you like it? If yes or neutral, try that same herb again in a different dish, and a third, and so on bit by bit for a whole month, till you've really learnt the effect of that particular herb.
  • If you can't stand it, make a note of that.
  • Then, move on to the next herb, and repeat the process.
  • After several months, you'll be able to combine the herbs and know what the combination will achieve.

Repeat the process for spices.
Stardards include: black pepper, white pepper, mustard-seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamon, paprika, chilli, curry and masala (although those latter two, and sometimes the chilli, are mixes).

And repeat again for permutations of herbs and spices. And you'll be well on your way to making basic, easy meals more interesting, without a lot of extra effort.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
This looks good:

66844894-58A5-4740-B3AE-3A0BDE1161F9.jpeg

Paul Kemp

My go to quick meal is pasta with cream cheese, bacon and peas.
Pasta: bring a pot of water to boil. A touch of oil and salt in the water. Add a mug of fusilli per serving. Set a timer for about 8 minutes and test the pasta. Should take no longer than 10 minutes to cook to al dente. Fusilli falls to bits if you cook it too long. Pene takes about 20 minutes.
While the pasta cooks prepare the rest.
Bacon: Chop up some bacon and fry it off. Add some frozen peas to the pan.
Sauce: Get a bowl that will hold all the pasta. Add a heaped tablespoon of cream cheese and a heaped tablespoon of butter. Let this get to room temp so it is soft and then mix it into a paste. Add spices and herbs of choice.

Putting it together: Drain the pasta, but leave a little water in it to help the sauce.
Put all the pasta into the bowl and stir it through till the cream cheese and butter form a sauce and coat all the pasta.
Add the bacon and peas and serve.
I’ll normally chop up some baby spinach and feta to put on top of my serving.