Elitehost Down ?

sparticus

Expert Member
What problem are you having with them?
They back up, everything went down for a while. All my sites and even the elitehost website. Was not long, just bad timing as I was busy with something important

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Yea there was a bit of an issue.

Network Outage

Monitoring - We are currently experiencing a network outage affecting one of our transit providers, to our Johannesburg location. We have failed over to our backup provider and all services should be back online. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. Updates to follow.
Oct 24, 12:19 SAST

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Seems to be down again today, websites was unavailable at about 12:30-1:00pm

Stormer12

Was with them for over a year. Moved to another host.

Was thinking of using them again. Had good support from them; its just the downtime that was a problem.

@Elitehost what are you planning to fix this.

Elitehost

@FaSMaN apologies for only picking this up now, it's a busy week with AfricaCom taking place as well. It seems like this was an isolated incident, as our network monitoring systems did not pick up any downtime yesterday and we did not receive any other reports. Please send a traceroute/mtr as well as the IP you are connecting from if you experience any connectivity issues as we would like to investigate further.

@Stormer12 the partial outage experienced on 24th Oct and 6th Nov was caused by a Cisco software bug that occurred within one of our transit providers networks. This is the first partial outage experienced since we built our own IP network in October 2017. You may have been a client before this occurred, during a time where we experienced a DDoS attack targetting our infrastructure and issues with a 3rd party provider's network uptime. This is when we made the decision to build and manage our own IP network, with the ultimate goals of providing better network uptime and performance.

Our network is currently multihomed, meaning we make use of multiple transit providers. Any outage affecting a particular transit provider should only cause a few minutes of downtime before routing updates globally. We're also making some changes to our network configuration to minimise any downtime due to transit issues. Please PM me if you would like any further information or have any questions regarding our network resiliency.

- Jason
Elitehost

FaSMaN

Expert Member
@FaSMaN apologies for only picking this up now, it's a busy week with AfricaCom taking place as well. It seems like this was an isolated incident, as our network monitoring systems did not pick up any downtime yesterday and we did not receive any other reports. Please send a traceroute/mtr as well as the IP you are connecting from if you experience any connectivity issues as we would like to investigate further.

@Stormer12 the partial outage experienced on 24th Oct and 6th Nov was caused by a Cisco software bug that occurred within one of our transit providers networks. This is the first partial outage experienced since we built our own IP network in October 2017. You may have been a client before this occurred, during a time where we experienced a DDoS attack targetting our infrastructure and issues with a 3rd party provider's network uptime. This is when we made the decision to build and manage our own IP network, with the ultimate goals of providing better network uptime and performance.

Our network is currently multihomed, meaning we make use of multiple transit providers. Any outage affecting a particular transit provider should only cause a few minutes of downtime before routing updates globally. We're also making some changes to our network configuration to minimise any downtime due to transit issues. Please PM me if you would like any further information or have any questions regarding our network resiliency.

- Jason
Elitehost

Websites are up but cpanel is completely down:

Attachments

• bad Cpanel .JPG
    bad Cpanel .JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 12

Elitehost

Websites are up but cpanel is completely down:

@FaSMaN Thank you for the details, the traceroute shows you are able to each our network but the server is blocking pings. This may be related to a firewall block due to mod_security or invalid logins. Please PM me your IP or check if the IP is blocked via our client area Support -> Check Firewall Block

FaSMaN

Expert Member
@FaSMaN Thank you for the details, the traceroute shows you are able to each our network but the server is blocking pings. This may be related to a firewall block due to mod_security or invalid logins. Please PM me your IP or check if the IP is blocked via our client area Support -> Check Firewall Block

IP was blocked, and this brings us to problem two "Reason: Your IP was blocked due to multiple SMTP/Email login failures"

We are using Office365 at no point should there be SMTP/Email login attempt at all as Cpanel is set to "remote email exchange" (Picture attached) and I removed "autodiscover.cpanel.com" from my DNS list, but yet at least once a week I have to go to "Configure Email Routing" and re-select "Remote Mail Exchanger" els outlook on several users computers detects that there was a change on the domain and tries to reset it to "autodiscover.cpanel.com".

I have opened a ticket for both: "SUPPORT #393748"

If you can look into it it would be great ....

Attachments

• cpanel.JPG
    cpanel.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 12

Elitehost

IP was blocked, and this brings us to problem two "Reason: Your IP was blocked due to multiple SMTP/Email login failures"

We are using Office365 at no point should there be SMTP/Email login attempt at all as Cpanel is set to "remote email exchange" (Picture attached) and I removed "autodiscover.cpanel.com" from my DNS list, but yet at least once a week I have to go to "Configure Email Routing" and re-select "Remote Mail Exchanger" els outlook on several users computers detects that there was a change on the domain and tries to reset it to "autodiscover.cpanel.com".

I have opened a ticket for both: "SUPPORT #393748"

If you can look into it it would be great ....

@ FaSMaN, we've responded and are working with you to resolve the issue. From our server side, we were still seeing logins directly to the server using invalid details, this was causing the firewall blocks. Please respond further via the ticket.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
@ FaSMaN, we've responded and are working with you to resolve the issue. From our server side, we were still seeing logins directly to the server using invalid details, this was causing the firewall blocks. Please respond further via the ticket.

Thank you I did respond, but I am still extremely curiouse how you can see ANY logins, if the service was disabled and nothing points to it?

Elitehost

Thank you I did respond, but I am still extremely curiouse how you can see ANY logins, if the service was disabled and nothing points to it?

The failed IMAP logins appear in our mail server logs, these would only appear if someone on your network is attempting to authenticate. You may have a device on your network that was set up to connect to the server IP directly. The logins match your exact domain and come from the same IP you are connecting from. The full mail server logs have been sent to you in the support ticket in our earlier response at 1:37 PM. I do not see any further failed logins after 10:37am this morning. Please contact us further via the ticket if you experience any issues related to this in future.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
In the new year we will be moving 400 of our clients away from elithost and on to Datakeepers, and we will be paying x3 less than elite for much BETTER servers.

lived666

Executive Member
Hello lived666, We did not experience any downtime this past Friday. Can you please PM me your domain you have with us so I can check further?

yes you did, as acknowledged by your support. It wasn't for long but the service went down for around 30-40 minutes:
Good day,

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

It appears the server has become unresponsive. Our engineers are currently investigating. I will be sure to keep you updated regarding this.

Regards,
Rxxx Vxxxxx
Elitehost Support (helpdesk@elitehost.co.za)
- We strive to earn your satisfaction

Elitehost

yes you did, as acknowledged by your support. It wasn't for long but the service went down for around 30-40 minutes:

Hi lived666, apologies, this downtime was not network related. We experienced a high load on a server that caused some downtime. Please, can you respond to the PM with the domain name you have hosted with us?