Steam Vouchers from Discovery

The_David

Expert Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2016
Messages
1,392
Reaction score
1,035
Location
Jozi
Has anyone bought steam vouchers from discovery in the last month or so. Apparently they discontinuing the service but you are still able to buy them anyway. Most people i have spoken to are having the issue where purchased vouchers (with miles) are showing up as already redeemed when entering them in steam. Anyone else have this issue and manage to sort it out? If so how?
 
If only it were so easy. They just saying they investigating.
 
Steam has discontinued these sales through third-party channels due to abuse. It can only be bought on Steam now. Whatever inventory is still available at third-party stores will last until there is no more available, because these codes have already been issued.

You have the code; take it up with Steam, tell them where you acquired it, and when the code was used.

I once bought a code that had already been used, and Steam helped me set that record straight. Actually, I also once won (technically redeemed with points) a Steam voucher that had already been used, but Steam didn't want to help me with that.
 
ive been fighting for the last 2 weeks about the same issue.. at this point i dgaf about the voucher i want my points back. but they said last time i spoke to them 7 working days to investigate which is up tomorrow... so will be on the phone tomorrow to shout again...
 
ive been fighting for the last 2 weeks about the same issue.. at this point i dgaf about the voucher i want my points back. but they said last time i spoke to them 7 working days to investigate which is up tomorrow... so will be on the phone tomorrow to shout again...
ah bugger. good luck man.
 
Steam has discontinued these sales through third-party channels due to abuse. It can only be bought on Steam now. Whatever inventory is still available at third-party stores will last until there is no more available, because these codes have already been issued.

You have the code; take it up with Steam, tell them where you acquired it, and when the code was used.

I once bought a code that had already been used, and Steam helped me set that record straight. Actually, I also once won (technically redeemed with points) a Steam voucher that had already been used, but Steam didn't want to help me with that.
That can't be true, I still buy vouchers through Absa as they give a discount, bought a week ago.

Discovery canned it a while back, mostly I think becuase of the amounts. You used to be able to buy like R150/R250/R500 etc. Even Absa now only offer R500/R1000 which is probably too much for the miles platform to be worth the integration.
 
That can't be true, I still buy vouchers through Absa as they give a discount, bought a week ago.

Discovery canned it a while back, mostly I think becuase of the amounts. You used to be able to buy like R150/R250/R500 etc. Even Absa now only offer R500/R1000 which is probably too much for the miles platform to be worth the integration.
I purchase a R1000 voucher through discovery with my miles, when i called the banker told me they discontinuing the vouchers but because i could still purchase it through the app means there are still vouchers available... which I'm assuming was not the case.
 
That can't be true, I still buy vouchers through Absa as they give a discount, bought a week ago.

Discovery canned it a while back, mostly I think becuase of the amounts. You used to be able to buy like R150/R250/R500 etc. Even Absa now only offer R500/R1000 which is probably too much for the miles platform to be worth the integration.
Did you not see this part
Whatever inventory is still available at third-party stores will last until there is no more available, because these codes have already been issued.
 
That can't be true, I still buy vouchers through Absa as they give a discount, bought a week ago.

Discovery canned it a while back, mostly I think becuase of the amounts. You used to be able to buy like R150/R250/R500 etc. Even Absa now only offer R500/R1000 which is probably too much for the miles platform to be worth the integration.


Can I purchase Steam Gift Cards at retailers?​


Yes, but only for a limited time.

We introduced Steam Gift Cards to retail stores back in 2012, and added the digital program in 2017. Unfortunately, scammers use gift cards from major brands like Steam to take advantage of people all over the world.

We’ve responded to gift card scams over the years by taking a number of actions to protect customers, including:
  • Working with retailers
  • Working with law enforcement
  • Making changes to the cards, including adding a prominent scam warning
  • Limiting redemption to be in the currency of your Steam wallet
  • Limiting availability of cards
  • Removing cards from sale when we observed abnormal activity

As we have continued to put more and more restrictions in place, scammers have adapted. They continue to have an impact on Steam customers and other unsuspecting individuals. So we've made the difficult decision to end the Steam Gift Card program at retail stores.

As Steam Gift Cards run out of stock at retail locations, we will not be restocking them. We expect all retailers to be out of stock by the end of 2026. Though we will no longer be selling physical gift cards, you will still have the ability to use your existing gift cards on Steam whenever you choose, subject to local laws.

We also continue to offer Steam Digital Gift Cards, and are working to make this an even better experience. Guest checkout, which we added last year, is another way for family members and friends to gift Steam users with a digital card anytime.

I have queried two 'digital' stockists, and they said this is being phased out. I don't even think it is available through FNB anymore.
 



I have queried two 'digital' stockists, and they said this is being phased out. I don't even think it is available through FNB anymore.
But is this not the old physical cards? The digital ones seem fine although it does hint here at being through their store but a integration for that should be pretty simple.

We also continue to offer Steam Digital Gift Cards, and are working to make this an even better experience. Guest checkout, which we added last year, is another way for family members and friends to gift Steam users with a digital card anytime.
 
But is this not the old physical cards? The digital ones seem fine although it does hint here at being through their store but a integration for that should be pretty simple.

You can always ask the bank and Steam themselves, but it does look like Steam has made changes to their digital program, which is attached to retail. Retail is retail, whether it is brick-and-mortar or online. I have no idea how their digital code-distribution APIs work, but it is clearly impacting their B2B model as a whole.

From what I can see, the digital program allocated batches, and that is inventory.

I think this entire chain has become exhausted, having to deal with scams and other malicious activities or claims related to vouchers/cash cards/wallet codes/etc.

Time will tell when the banks don't have them available anymore; then we’ll know. I used to buy Steam cards to save on banking charges, and at times there were service rewards attached. For me, that is no more.
 
Still no resolution from Discovery and I just cannot figure out how to log the issue with steam. I keep going round and round in their support Q&A and I cant seem to find just a regular email address to log the issue.
Does seem like if its not in a official Steam voucher card that you can pull off the rack at a store and rip open then they wont assist, it needs to go through the vendor.
 
Still no resolution from Discovery and I just cannot figure out how to log the issue with steam. I keep going round and round in their support Q&A and I cant seem to find just a regular email address to log the issue.
Does seem like if its not in a official Steam voucher card that you can pull off the rack at a store and rip open then they wont assist, it needs to go through the vendor.
I logged it with Steam and they said there is nothing they can do and i need to take it up with discovery. so you don't waste more of your time.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X