Energy Efficient

Dolby

Honorary Master
So now that I'm on my 'energy efficient' path ... has anything changed in the world of heaters?

I see my 5 year old deep freeze uses twice the power of my new unit - but what of other appliances ?
Everything new, is more energy efficient ?

I'm using a 20 year old oil heater ... new ones are better?

Magnum

Expert Member
Heat is heat. No.

You do get different heaters though like IR, heat exchanged base like Oil and Element.

I bought an AMD. its far more Efficient...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No, not aware of any major changes other than safety improvements.
As already said, an electric heater is a heater. All " wasted energy" in an energy conversion process turns into heat. So, you could say that a heater is the perfect example of an energy waster.

The alternatives are:
(1) Burn wood, coal or anything solid that will burn for heat. - messy- inefficient as a space heater. Radiation heating
(2) Burn liquid fuels - paraffin, petrol - dangerous. Also localised space heating - Radiation heating, poor at convection heating.
(3) Burn gas safer than the above but still for some on the dangerous side. - radiation heating poor at convection heating
(3) Convert electric energy to heat. Bar heaters the most dangerous, to oil heaters arguably the safest. Oil heaters are considered to be better for space heating- better at radiation and convection heating
(4) Air Conditioning -- The safest of the lot. Best space heating available. Arguably of course. Best at convection heating.

Speedster

Executive Member
Those old school oil heaters are normally in the region of 2kw each. The panel heaters at about 300w seem to be more efficient, but I can't back that up with any hard evidence

Snyper564

Expert Member
Winter our side in Pretoria we got nice warm blankets, electric blankets and when the evenings get really cold whip out the gas heater think its a 5/9kg cant remember and fill that once a winter

Zuner

Expert Member
Heaters are heaters, a 300w isn't more efficient, it's just less powerful.

Use a normal blanket on the couch , and an electric blanket on the bed. Heat the body not the room.

Speedster

Executive Member
Heaters are heaters, a 300w isn't more efficient, it's just less powerful.

Use a normal blanket on the couch , and an electric blanket on the bed. Heat the body not the room.
I'm told those electric water bottles are the bomb

Dolby

Honorary Master
My thinking was if my freezer (new vs old) used half the power to get to the same - 10... Maybe my heater could use half the power to + 20

Zuner

Expert Member
My thinking was if my freezer (new vs old) used half the power to get to the same - 10... Maybe my heater could use half the power to + 20
As far as my understanding of heating goes, heaters are very efficient at converting electricity to heat. So there's not much if anything to gain, the only efficiency to gain is the method of heating the room, ie fan heater vs oil heater etc.

Zuner

Expert Member
I'm told those electric water bottles are the bomb
Used to use them, worked very well, 1 kettle boil = 2kw for 5 minutes, vs a 2kw fan heater for hours.
Electric blanket i had was 65w on high and worked very well.

Blanket @65w for 8 hours = 0.52kwh
Boil Kettle once = 0.15kwh
Fan heater @2kw for 3 hours = 6kwh

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Used to use them, worked very well, 1 kettle boil = 2kw for 5 minutes, vs a 2kw fan heater for hours.
Electric blanket i had was 65w on high and worked very well.

Blanket @65w for 8 hours = 0.52kwh
Boil Kettle once = 0.15kwh
An electric blanket?... in South Africa? Don't you have a duvet?