Energy Efficient

Speedster

Executive Member

Zuner

Expert Member
Sure - though not in countries as temperate as SA.
I agree that SA is relatively temperate, but some area's get pretty cold, here in vaal, so close to the river is gets super cold with taps and dogs water freezing. An electric blanket in winter this side get used not just now and then.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
My thinking was if my freezer (new vs old) used half the power to get to the same - 10... Maybe my heater could use half the power to + 20
The main difference with freezers is the thickness of the insulation on newer models. The power consumption of almost every other device hasn't changed much, certainly not for kettles or heaters.

Air conditioning is the safest, and I suppose one of the latest ways of heating. I would not necessariy say that modern technology literally means more energy efficiency. There are modern heaters that consume unnecessary heat. Go for what benefits you

RudiOost

1st step is to do insulation in the roof.
2nd seal all your windows and doors to restricts a cool breeze to enter. Fit those black sponge on the window frame and door frame and install it under the outside facing doors.
3rd open blinds curtain during day, and close when dark.
4th most effiecient heating is inverter/aircon as it is not a 1:1 for input to output heat. More like 3:1 meaning if you input 1kw of energy you get 3kw of heat out

Geoff.D

Executive Member
1st step is to do insulation in the roof.
2nd seal all your windows and doors to restricts a cool breeze to enter. Fit those black sponge on the window frame and door frame and install it under the outside facing doors.
3rd open blinds curtain during day, and close when dark.
4th most effiecient heating is inverter/aircon as it is not a 1:1 for input to output heat. More like 3:1 meaning if you input 1kw of energy you get 3kw of heat out
where does the other 2 kW come from?

where does the other 2 kW come from?
These are heat pumps, you can get more than 100% "efficiency" from them. Basically instead of just heating an element directly, you do the reverse of what a fridge is doing to pump heat from outside back into the room.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
These are heat pumps, you can get more than 100% "efficiency" from them. Basically instead of just heating an element directly, you do the reverse of what a fridge is doing to pump heat from outside back into the room.
Efficiency is not the way to describe such a system.
An Airconditioner is just a heat pump, as is a fridge or freezer A reverse cycle A/C init can "pump" heat in both directions, whereas all other units are uni-directional heat pumps.
If you compare the "heating" ability of a heat pump to a normal heater, you could say that the heat pump is "more efficient at heating a space. But IF you analyse the complete system then you may be rather surprised at the outcome.