• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Entry level Gaming PC

Marius Flash

Expert Member
Not sure if there are threads out there? But it would be interesting to hear the views of gamers out there, what would the entry level of gaming Desktop PC's be in order to play Games like "Dishonored " ??

The make up and price - what would that consist of?

M_Kat

well let's see ..

3rd gen i5 3ghz+

550w PSU

8gb ram

H61 mobo

2TB HDD

GT 570

20mbps internet connection

19" monitor

I reckon you can gather a few 2nd parts like RAM and CPU price could be around R4000 incl case and internet connection.

Last edited:

Fro

New:

CPU - ~R1 800
GPU - ~R2 400
MOBO - R700-R1 400 (I hate entry-level motherboard chipset -- Intel's H chipset -- so I included B chipset boards)
RAM - 8GB

2nd hand:

CPU - R600-R1 500
GPU - <R2 000
MOBO - R400-R1 000 (This covers cheap to good, feature-rich boards)
RAM - 8GB

The other things are very subjective. Some would go for the most basic PSU, case and storage while others don't hate their lives.

You'll get more for your money by going 2nd hand, especially when you buy older generations.

Marius Flash

Expert Member
New:

CPU - ~R1 800
GPU - ~R2 400
MOBO - R700-R1 400 (I hate entry-level motherboard chipset -- Intel's H chipset -- so I included B chipset boards)
RAM - 8GB

2nd hand:

CPU - R600-R1 500
GPU - <R2 000
MOBO - R400-R1 000 (This covers cheap to good, feature-rich boards)
RAM - 8GB

The other things are very subjective. Some would go for the most basic PSU, case and storage while others don't hate their lives.

You'll get more for your money by going 2nd hand, especially when you buy older generations.
Doesn't Graphics Cards play a big role too in Gaming PC's ? You can have all the hardware, but with a s**** Graphics card the experience could be disappointing??

Fro

Doesn't Graphics Cards play a big role too in Gaming PC's ? You can have all the hardware, but with a s**** Graphics card the experience could be disappointing??
Yes, it does. Did I say it doesn't?

You'll get good budget cards in the new and used price ranges I gave you. Remember, they're just suggestions; you can go over or under them if you want to.

ponder

Honorary Master
It makes it easier to set a budget first and then work with that.

Also do you have any existing components (or a working desktop) you can use like lcd, mouse, keyboard, hard drive, case etc. Also what resolution do you intend playing at, a list of some games you are interested in?

You're basically asking how long a piece of string is.

Last edited:

RokSwaab

Not to mention what settings do you want to play games at. You wanna play everything maxed out for a while? Or can you settle for lowering some settings over the years?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Yeah set a budget first.

Off the top of my head, brand new, I would be surprised if you could get away with paying less than R10k.

Maybe if you budgeted as follows:
CPU: R1k
RAM: R1k
Motherboard: R1k
Case and PSU: R1k
Graphics card: R2k
Hard drive: R1k
Windows license: R1.5k

Obviously the above is very rough but just to give you an idea of what I would consider the least amount of money that you will get away with spending. Total seems to be R8.5k excluding building, delivery, mouse and keyboard and monitor (if required).

RokSwaab

Yeah set a budget first.

Off the top of my head, brand new, I would be surprised if you could get away with paying less than R10k.

Maybe if you budgeted as follows:
CPU: R1k
RAM: R1k
Motherboard: R1k
Case and PSU: R1k
Graphics card: R2k
Hard drive: R1k
Windows license: R1.5k

Obviously the above is very rough but just to give you an idea of what I would consider the least amount of money that you will get away with spending. Total seems to be R8.5k excluding building, delivery, mouse and keyboard and monitor (if required).
With 10k he could perhaps get an i3 + 1050 Ti + 8gb ram setup? But ya, he needs to give a budget.

Blu82

Expert Member
Worth watching this video if we are discussing an entry level PC. The Pentium G4560 is good enough for 60fps with the right screen card.

[video=youtube_share;H-aP0JqJkJ0]https://youtu.be/H-aP0JqJkJ0[/video]

Fro

I think you guys are overthinking it. He said entry-level PC (aka budget build) and he mentioned a game that isn't the most demanding title. A decent 1080p 60fps build is what he needs. I gave him decent price ranges so that he has a rough estimate of what it will cost him.

Last edited:

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I think you guys are overthinking it. He said entry-level PC (aka budget build) and he mentioned a game that isn't the most damaging title. A decent 1080p 60fps build is what he needs. I gave him decent price ranges so that he has a rough estimate of what it will cost him.
No game should be damaging. I assume you meant demanding... If a game is damaging to anything, you should uninstall it.

Marius Flash

Expert Member
Think the OP did a hit & run...
He kinda did Yeah :D Wanted to see the replies just for fun. Great answers though.So 8.5K should be a bench mark for a suitable gaming machine......I still believe Flashgear would beat any price, he comes up with awesome deals imo:)