Epic Games store - my support decreasing.

ekske1

Expert Member
Inasmuch as I thought they were onto something, but with the recent spate of exclusives only not to mention the fact that it seems tencent is watching you; I am beginning to feel less and less supportive.

So I am wondering is there any epic game store supporters / fans here and if so what makes them 'so good'?

see (yet another exclusive):

and (can't find that reddit now):
https://www.criticalhit.net/technol...-the-epic-game-store-client-is-spying-on-you/

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
They still don't do cloud saves.
https://www.pcgamer.com/au/epic-gam...p-includes-achievements-cloud-saves-and-more/

Epic Store development roadmap includes achievements, cloud saves and more
Epic Games has outlined the next six months worth of features for the new launcher.

The Epic Games Store is a barebones affair, and that's putting it politely—you can buy games but that's about it. Things are gradually changing though: a search function was added last week (rejoice), and pre-loads are finally possible. And there's plenty more to come.

Epic Games released its development roadmap on Trello earlier today, delivering our first proper look at the timeframe for new features. According to the chart, user reviews, wishlists, play time tracking and mod support will all roll out within the next six months, as well as new payment options, additional currencies and an Epic Games overlay.

But there's a handful of additions coming even sooner, with cloud saves expected to be supported within a 1-3 month timeframe. Also expected within this timeframe is a redesign of store pages, multi-SKU listings for DLC, "improvements to Offline Mode", and the ability to search by genre and tag.

As far as long term projects, the store will get achievements and a "social overhaul" eventually, but these are expected to roll out at least six months down the track. And as for TBD projects, these include automated refunds, gifting and an Android Store (this presumably means Android games will be sold via Epic Games Store).

Those are the major projects–there are many more besides. And all of these timeframes are subject to change. Check out the full document over here.

Anyone with a link to something that briefly covers what this steam / epic store debacle is about?
In a nutshell:
1. User found epic client scans your machine and gets data from Steam
2. Epic says they only collect Steam information with your approval

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/pc-g...eir-steam-friends-play-history-epic-responds/

The drama is because Tencent now owns a large portion of Epic. And it's not even up for debate, Tencent spies like a MF especially in their Chinese portfolio. They mine data like it's stolen. Eh, actually it is stolen :p

So do Epic really spy on gamers currently? Doesn't look like it. Would you want to support a company that is known for spying? I guess that's up to you.

ScrooV

After Epic's exclusivity deal stunt with Metro Exodus (pulling from Steam at the 11th hour after allowing Steam to market and hype it for months), I'll just avoid Epic for good.

Competition is good - and we all know Steam could use it, but exclusivity deals is not the way to go. We've seen enough BS like that in SA with Multichoice.

Besides, one of the biggest advantages that Steam has over Epic (and GOG in many cases) is regional pricing which has been very good for South African gamers.

beans100

Executive Member
After Epic's exclusivity deal stunt with Metro Exodus (pulling from Steam at the 11th hour after allowing Steam to market and hype it for months), I'll just avoid Epic for good.

Competition is good - and we all know Steam could use it, but exclusivity deals is not the way to go. We've seen enough BS like that in SA with Multichoice.

Besides, one of the biggest advantages that Steam has over Epic (and GOG in many cases) is regional pricing which has been very good for South African gamers.
Funny you should mention Multichoice. Naspers is their parent company. Naspers is also the largest shareholder in Tencent.

Meh, if their deals are better, I will use them. Their offline mode is completely broken, but I found way around it when playing Subnautica.

I remember how I used to feel about steam the first 4 or so years of its life.

ekske1

Expert Member
Meh, if their deals are better, I will use them. Their offline mode is completely broken, but I found way around it when playing Subnautica.

I remember how I used to feel about steam the first 4 or so years of its life.
60 usd game vs local steam store pricing isn't better deals; especially if they keep on with the tripe of excluding legitimate 3rd resellers.

60 usd game vs local steam store pricing isn't better deals; especially if they keep on with the tripe of excluding legitimate 3rd resellers.
I know, that's why I'm not buying from them yet. And I don't like their store layout as much either. It is harder to see at a glance if I might enjoy a game.
But it isn't due to some principle. If I wanted to play an Epic exclusive in the first year, I would buy it.

Sterling's video on Steam was a load of crap.
I have none of the issues with steam he has.

And supporting Epic?
Never again.

It's the only launcher where I have ever had security issues.
3 attempts to hack my account in 1 week.

Screw epic.
Steam forever.

Sterling's video on Steam was a load of crap.
I have none of the issues with steam he has.

And supporting Epic?
Never again.

It's the only launcher where I have ever had security issues.
3 attempts to hack my account in 1 week.

Screw epic.
Steam forever.
Another issue, but not exclusive to them. Just enable 2fa for now.

Did a complete run of password change a few days ago for my entire vault. It is funny though that a few places like allan grey or sars have rather weak 'allowed passwords'.

Another issue, but not exclusive to them. Just enable 2fa for now.

Did a complete run of password change a few days ago for my entire vault. It is funny though that a few places like allan grey or sars have rather weak 'allowed passwords'.
Not exclusive to them of course, but I have had no security risks with any other launcher.
Steam, GOG, Ubisoft even Origin

Worrying that you have to change your password just in case 3 times in 1 week for 1 launcher.
Then there is also all the reports of private information sharing.