Eskom in downward spiral

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Eskom can go f#@k themselves. 1st they complain that usage is too high then they raise prices then they complain that usage is low and they raise prices again.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
**** eskom, the were supposed to have completed medupi years ago, so if they are using open gas turbines out of budget they better catch a fkn wake up and finish that power station! To pass the buck for their incompetence to consumers is daft, they want none of the responsibility but all the 8 digit bonuses.....

BTTB

If it wasn't for the fact that I have my own business I don't know how I would be able to afford my utility bills on a salary if I was working for a boss.
I feel sorry for the general public that pay their bills, in the last couple of years rates, water and electricity have gone up beyond what the average person can afford.
For the first time in 24 years of being in business my combined utility bill (water, rates, electricity, refuse, sewerage) exceeded my bond.

I bet there are people paying utility bills out of credit in this country just to survive.

Listening this week to the TV one economist was talking about Stagflation, when inflation exceeds growth and unemployment remains high. There is inflation that can and cannot be controlled, meaning the hike in pricing that can be controlled like our utility bills by our elected Government who should be looking after the welfare of its people is spiralling out of control beyond people's earning potential vs is simple terms what we buy in the shop.
You cannot tell the Supermarket to drop their prices, you can however vote with your feet and when the owner of the shop sees he is losing market share will adjust accordingly. However the Government seems hell bent on pushing the price of everything up at any cost and I have said it time and again on this forum, they are one of the biggest drivers of inflation in this country, not only when it comes to utility bills, but just about everything else, we are taxed higher than any other country on this planet, every year they add more levies to fuel, instead of making it easier to do business they continue to add more red tape and costs, basically more barriers to business.

I maintain the biggest waster of money that overcharges its citizens is the South African Government. It seems like they don't care and we cannot vote with our feet like we can do at a Supermarket.

Last edited:

system32

Expert Member
The corruption at Eiskom is the problem.

Medupi was budged at R52b escalated to more than R150b.
Kusile was budged at R52b escalated to more than R150b.

"In January 2007, a “six-pack” 4 500MW station (Medupi) was announced, at a cost of over R52bn and with the first unit to be commissioned in mid-2011"
http://www.techcentral.co.za/electricity-crisis-from-bad-to-worse/34649/

We are now 3+ years late.
Carte Blance has some history on Eskom:
Jun 2013
http://carteblanche.dstv.com/player/301524/
Feb 2013
http://carteblanche.dstv.com/player/210214/
http://carteblanche.dstv.com/player/210224/

Jola

Honorary Master
Calling them incompetent is actually a compliment. It just does not describe how bad they really are.

#ProudlyBroughtByANC

BTTB

The other part is when these Power Stations are eventually synchronised to the national grid there is still teething problems, unforeseen problems and the quality of the workmanship will be put to the test in regards to what is going to break, in other words more maintenance costs.

It is shocking that this is our country we are talking about, incompetence and corruption costs that just never cease. As one poster said we will be paying for this for years to come. At the end of the day, we (the taxpayers) foot the bill for everything.

MKFrost

Expert Member
I'm not one for doom and gloom but the writing is on the wall. Not just for Eskom but for most of government. Free State health department is also on the brink of collapse, just like many other departments, municipality after municipality is going tits up......

As said, the writing is on the wall....

BTTB

Due to not having enough electricity capacity, how many Companies put expansion on hold or developments that could not go ahead due to not having enough power.

The old Power Stations that were bought and paid for long ago have been running at maximum capacity way past their shelf life. I believe Eskom has made a killing from the sale of electricity, everything is running at maximum capacity with nothing to spare and they have trebled what they charge in about 5 years. We can talk about Vodacom and other Cartel like Companies making a fat profit out of the South African sheeplike public, but there is not a bigger rip-off than Eskom in this country. I am sorry but I do not believe anything in regards to their accounting and how many Billions they made or lost, I think the pit is endless, they are making money like water and we are the suckers.

Last edited:

Stefanmuller

Expert Member
Due to not having enough electricity capacity, how many Companies put expansion on hold or developments that could not go ahead due to not having enough power.

The old Power Stations that were bought and paid for long ago have been running at maximum capacity way past their shelf life. I believe Eskom has made a killing from the sale of electricity, everything is running at maximum capacity with nothing to spare and they have trebled what they charge in about 5 years. We can talk about Vodacom and other Cartel like Companies making a fat profit out of the South African sheeplike public, but there is not bigger rip-off than Eskom in this country. I am sorry but I do not believe anything in regards to their accounting and how many Billions they made or lost, I think the pit is endless, they are making money like water and we are the suckers.

Thing is whether you believe what Eskom says and whether reporting losses or profits, or whether claiming shortage of power or reasons for increasing tariffs is the truth or not, is totally irrelevant at the end of the day. Because consumers are forced to use their services at whatever price they feel like asking as there is no other viable alternative. The big manufacturers and industries will just have to pay and they just pass the buck to the consumers through elevated costs of their products. Everything just gets more expensive. So the individual on the street can go gas or generator if he really wants to, but the cost of all other necessities will still go up.

Question: As Eskom is government owned, does it not mean that we are paying double for electricity already? We are funding government with our taxes and on top of that paying for actual usage?

Last edited: