Eskom knew about silo problems

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Well now, that puts a different spin on things then doesn't it.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Solidarity will just get the engineers who leaked this fired as well.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
As long as their incompetence doesn't result in days or weeks of rolling blackouts.

benitok

Is Eskom leaving anything unchecked at Koeberg? Maybe there is a crack or a few vibrations that they are ignoring. I sincerely hope not.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Is Eskom leaving anything unchecked at Koeberg? Maybe there is a crack or a few vibrations that they are ignoring. I sincerely hope not.

Same here... now I have ZERO confidence... :(

At least Koeberg is in the Cape... :whistling:

marine1

Honorary Master
The whole bloody lot of them should be prosecuted from crimes against the citizens of this country

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Why the hell can't we fight back at these idiots...

Drives me nuts that a service WE pay for, is completely out of our control in terms of forcing the supplier to do the job properly.

That R43m breakfast should be deducted from the rates we pay, the cost to fully repair this silo and conveyor should be deducted from the rates we pay (IF its true that they knew about the issue)

Messugga

Honorary Master
Why the hell can't we fight back at these idiots...

Drives me nuts that a service WE pay for, is completely out of our control in terms of forcing the supplier to do the job properly.

That R43m breakfast should be deducted from the rates we pay, the cost to fully repair this silo and conveyor should be deducted from the rates we pay (IF its true that they knew about the issue)
The people have spoken and they're happy with this sort of behaviour, it seems. You fight back by voting for a decent party. Too bad 60 odd percent of the country are seemingly mentally deficient.

spzl

The people have spoken and they're happy with this sort of behaviour, it seems. You fight back by voting for a decent party. Too bad 60 odd percent of the country are seemingly mentally deficient.

That and DA votes getting dumped in transit...

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member
Corrosion of reinforcement has been established as the predominant factor causing widespread premature deterioration of concrete construction worldwide, especially of the structures located in the coastal marine environment [1]. The most important causes of corrosion initiation of reinforcing steel are the ingress of chloride ions and carbon dioxide to the steel surface. After initiation of the corrosion process, the corrosion products (iron oxides and hydroxides) are usually deposited in the restricted space in the concrete around the steel. Their formation within this restricted space sets up expansive stresses, which crack and spall the concrete cover. This in turn results in progressive deterioration of the concrete.

Taken from here:

http://www.electrochemsci.org/papers/vol2/2010001.pdf

I call BS on Eskom that was unforeseen and probably why the 'crack' was really a 'collapse'.

If basic monitoring was in place, then this could have been avoided months ago.

Since Solidarity says the monitoring was in place, then we really need to know why the warnings were ignored.

And all this through a basic Google search for a complete layman who has never even thought about the structural integrity of cement before, or how it may fail or why. It would appear we have complete idiots running the show, starting from our president with his primary school education.

/rant off

disabled

Expert Member
As long as they keep taking your money they don't care... All business so called services ending in 'kom' is incompetent that's not excluding including 'com'

cfilorux

When cow herders become managers but cannot manage

It is easy to understand why the warnings were ignored: the people responsible for making decisions do not have the technical capacity to understand the warnings, nor to implement the recommendations. They defaulted to doing nothing.

Last edited:

TheGrimReaperUH

It is easy to understand why the warnings were ignored: the people responsible for making decisions do not have the technical capacity to understand the warnings, nor to implement the recommendations. They defaulted to doing nothing.

I agree, our countries government(and utilities) are all under the impression if they ignore the problem long enough it's going to disappear.... Yeah no it's just gonna get worse gents...